Finally completed an 11ft OT 50 Pounder

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Some folks may remember I posted pictures of this canoe a two years ago when it was given to me. It was in a sorry state as squirrels had eaten half of it away! I can't even date it as the squirrels ate both serial numbers - along with most of the stems.

This was the toughest restoration I've ever attempted: new inner & outer rails, new stems, and nearly half the ribs replaced. Hard to pre-bend steamed ribs - especially the cant ribs - when there isn't enough left of the next smaller rib on either end of the canoe to use as a bending guide! Came out ok though.

20220809_163907.jpg 20220809_163952.jpg 20220809_164005.jpg 20220809_164019.jpg 20220809_164056.jpg

Iam looking for info about an 11ft OT that I removed the paint by heat because it was cracked all over what must I apply before I apply paint

Jim: So I think you're saying that you have a wood/canvas canoe that had cracked paint. You used heat to remove the paint - or at least the cracked sections - and you're wondering what you need do to prepare the surface prior to repainting. Yes?

First question is whether the canoe had canvas covering the wooden body, or whether someone removed the canvas and fiberglassed the body.

If the canvas is present then the question is what condition is the canvas in? The 11ft '50 Pounders' were only made from 1927 to 1967, so if the canvas is original then it should be replaced. You also say you used heat to remove the old paint. I can't see how that did the canvas any good, so again I'd say the canvas likely needs replacing. Once the new canvas is on it needs to be 'mudded' (a mud like material is worked by hand into the cotton weave), and then painted. If you want to replace the canvas yourself there is lots of information here in the WCHA Forum to help you, as well a books (such as 'The Wood And Canvas Canoe' by Stelmok/Thurlow). There are also people who could do the work for you (me, for example, but there are plenty of others. See the Builders And Suppliers section on the WCHA Home Page).

If instead the canoe was fiberglassed you first need to decide whether to remove the fiberglass. This could be an easy or hellish process depending on how well the fiberglass is sticking to the cedar body. Again, do some research in WCHA.

There aren't too many of these canoes still around - 991 were made over 40 years - so maybe consider having the canoe properly restored by replacing damaged wood, revarnishing the interior, and recanvassing.

Back