Old Town 50# deck details needer for resto

oldtownlamb

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm in process of resto of a 1965 Old Town 50 pounder. Have replaced 3 ribs, inwales, and one stem so far. When I acquired boat, it already had the outwales taken off as well as stem bands. I'm ready to install new decks at this point, but could really use a detailed picture of an intact deck showing how ends of outwales are shaped/mate to stem band etc. so as to stay as true to original design as possible. Anyone know of some good detailed pictures out in cyberspace? Thanks!

I've restored a number of these, from 11' to 15'. Here are a few photos. These are 11' models, and gunwales are original both in the unrestored and the restored one. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 11_50_deck1.jpg
    11_50_deck1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 11_50_deck2.JPG
    11_50_deck2.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 11_50_deck3.jpg
    11_50_deck3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 419
Thank you so much for excellent photos, Michael! Really helps to know what it used to look like. Loran

This is a deck from a 1946 fifty pounder, sorry the tip was cut off.

Attachments

• canoes 0493.JPG
    canoes 0493.JPG
    456.9 KB · Views: 353
:confused: Out of curiosity!....MIKE.........on that red one, did you splice a piece of stem band or is that a "glitch" in the photo? I was able to salvage the copper ones for my 65 OTCA...which reminds me....I have to check the mailbox at the PO to see if my decal came in that I ordered on here:eek:

I knew someone was going to ask about that! My metalworking skills need some work, huh? No, not really- when I was cropping the photo for posting, I grabbed a piece of it and moved it without realizing (look closely and you'll see it's a line that goes through the whole photo vertically). I only saw it after posting, and didn't think it important enough to correct.

Loran- you might notice some small bits of wood inserted into the rabbets at the ends of the outwales- this was common practice at Old Town. Apparently the rabbets were often too large at the ends of the canoe, leaving a gap. Small triangles of wood were inserted and shaped to fill in that little open space. Not a big deal, but an easy way to neaten up the appearance of the end of the canoe.

:p SEE?......Thanks for that bit about the little piece of wood....Now I can take the outwale away and insert some filling in there...What a place to get tidbits and tricks when your "fixin" things;) Thanks Mike!

Thanks Michael for tip on the outwale rabbet. Prior to seeing photo and reading your follow up comment I had not thought about this detail, but now that I've seen it think I'll stop short of the end when I cut the rabbit so will not need the little filler piece. One of those details that seems obvious AFTER the full length rabbet is cut and is held in place first time. Thanks!
And thanks Charvey for the additional photo!
Loran

Decals Too

What about the "Old Town" hull decal in the center...where can one find these, if I didn't want the standard white ones offered by Old Town's website? I have looked, but have not located...:rolleyes: Looking for a Gold leaf with black outline....

Go to the WCHA online store, then click on decals. The WCHA has reproduced decals appropriate for most years of Old Town's production, so choose the correct one for your canoe. Old WCHA repro decals were plastic peel-and-stick, but the current ones are water-slide, which is the appropriate type. The look great and work very well.

When you use them, be sure to let them soak until the decal comes off the backing paper by itself- don't bend the decal and its backing before they seperate spontaneously or the decal will crack and be useless. When applying to the deck, get a film of water on the deck before sliding the decal off onto the varnished wood. This water layer will allow you to slip the decal around to get it aligned properly on the deck. After aligning, just gently remove excess water from under the decal with your finger as a gentle squeegie, and soak up excess water carefully with a towel. The decals work and look great!

Michael

Oops- I just realized you must be talking about the decals on the sides of the hull. Look at old photos of '65 Old Town 50 pound models to see the style of the side decals, and then call Old Town. Last time I checked, Old Town had several styles of side decals in stock. Maybe they still do. If they don't have your style and you really want to be accurate, there are ways to have them reproduced. Search the forums to see if there are still threads on the subject. Alternatively, a good local sign shop may be able to help- they can make peel-and-stick decals to match almost anything these days.

The "Gold leaf with black outline" would have been hand painted so a local sign painter may be able to help as Michael suggested if you don't want to do this yourself. The first Old Town side decals appeared in the 1950s. These were red with a reflective backing as shown below. The reflective metallic foil background on these do not scan well. The blue one was used in the 1960s and had a clear background. I have originals of each of these styles and would be willing to provide a high quality scan if you want to get them reproduced. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• red-logo.gif
    red-logo.gif
    116.4 KB · Views: 546
  • bluelogo.gif
    bluelogo.gif
    68.3 KB · Views: 457
Uhhh....

Michael Grace said:
Go to the WCHA online store, then click on decals. The WCHA has reproduced decals appropriate for most years of Old Town's production, so choose the correct one for your canoe. Old WCHA repro decals were plastic peel-and-stick, but the current ones are water-slide, which is the appropriate type. The look great and work very well.

When you use them, be sure to let them soak until the decal comes off the backing paper by itself- don't bend the decal and its backing before they seperate spontaneously or the decal will crack and be useless. When applying to the deck, get a film of water on the deck before sliding the decal off onto the varnished wood. This water layer will allow you to slip the decal around to get it aligned properly on the deck. After aligning, just gently remove excess water from under the decal with your finger as a gentle squeegie, and soak up excess water carefully with a towel. The decals work and look great!

Michael

I already have the deck decals...I am looking for the center side hull sticker that has the big letters "Old Town". I have not seen these offered on the WCHA website...am I missing something?

Back