Great advice guys. The latest news regarding my project is that I dodged the rain today and visited with a restorer in Cato, NY, Jack McGreivey. He was very encouraging even if he did suggest that I stay away from the internet. He felt my boat was in pretty good shape but removing the varnish will tell the whole story. I was interested in buying some lumber but he was in short supply and I'll have to return once I've taken inventory of rib stock needed. Just as been suggested in previous posts, he recommended red cedar clapboard and I bought four 3 foot sections on my way home, picking out the quarter sawn pieces. I also bought some stripper, very expensive. He also advised me to clean out any residual resin from between the planking with a pick and heat to allow even expansion and contraction.
The unconventional repair to the stem that was difficult to see, MGC, was a 1/2 x 4 x 3 inch wood plate stuck in the bow and stern, where the 1/2 ish edge made the upper stem edge and the rest just hangs hidden under the decks. Effective but not right...right? Jack said the short scarfed inwales near the stem could be made better but that if I put rail caps as it once had it would hide the presently noticeable joint. He felt the inwale pucker from the deck screw could be compressed and glued back to shape. I learned a lot from just being in a working shop where there were various canoes in different stages of restoration.
Of interest to Morris followers was that I met a man restoring a Morris there. His name was Mike and I believe he said he had three Morrises. When I brought up the serial numbers question he said the tags were in a box somewhere and didn't appear interested in the dating game. I informed him that folks here were building a Morris database and they may be interested. He recalled Kathryns name so maybe we'll hear from him.
I found it interesting that his current project, I believe a15ft. Morris rowboat double ended, was not stained on the inside and also when I said "Oh you have three cants like mine", Jack piped in that there were only two that the third of the four ribs touching the splay was actually a full rib sharply bent under the splay. Whereas my three cants end on top of the splay. I think they said it had a "Fulton something something" tag that was on it.
Sorry for the ramble....don't encourage me! lol
I've got some stripper, a little bit of wood and I'm on my way.