trouble uploading picture attachments?

Yes, image uploading isn't working... Roger says the server is stuffed and he's unstuffing it, so things should be back to normal eventually.

Yes, image uploading isn't working... Roger says the server is stuffed
Unlike the previous upload process, it seems that the new imaging tool does not restrict photo file size.
Although this does give better photo quality, it also allows mega-whopper images to get loaded.
That seems a bit silly. Who is going to want a poster size blow-up of a stem number?
It's not one bit surprising to hear that the server is packed.
Short of investing in more server space, it might be worthwhile to restrict upload file size again.

The Natives are Getting Restless!

Here is the situation:

* We've maxed out the attachments table on the database that holds the forums data. Roger is working on this - we suspect it is a limitation imposed by the operating system and are waiting on confirmation from the hosting service. It has absolutely nothing to do with server space, which we have plenty of.

* In the meantime, photos can be posted by uploading your photo to an external site - such as a photo hosting site or your own website - then linking to it using the little icon with the mountains on it. This is how Woodenboat Forums requires users to do it, and it works fine.

* Depending on the OS limit, we may have to resort to 1) purging old posts with images, and 2) imposing stricter file size limits.

* Rest assured that the problem is being addressed. This is a free service provided to members and non-members alike, is largely volunteer driven, and things sometimes take a bit longer than if we had a full time IT staff...

File Size

Hello,

Yes, I opened a Yahoo account in Flickr.com to upload picture images. Need to get the privacy settings right but it should work. I think limiting the file size is okay. If someone wants a bigger picture they can ask the sender for it. Newer cameras will only get bigger in terms of detail/file size.
My thoughts.

Thanks to the volunteers who keep this site going. Some of the world's most worthwhile work is done by volunteers.
Tim

Newer cameras will only get bigger in terms of detail/file size.

But any photo manipulation program, from Photoshop or Gimp on down to MS Office-like programs and simple freeware allow anyone to easily reduce file size. Thus, limitations on file size should be an easy solution for now (although still temporary... the database will ultimately max out again someday).

I just pick the image and in windows, pick send as email and it reduces the size for you, then once in the email, save it back to a folder or desktop.

Chris, your suggestion works very well for those who are new to computers. I have a friend who has a first-computer, and clicking on a link is something she has yet to learn... copy and paste is probably a long way off, and downloading a program may always push her envelope. I love that our group here can jump in and explain to people how to do something with computers (as well as the boats).

We may solve the current problem by purging the build record images (which are large, and there are a lot of them), as well as restricting the size folks can post.

Thanks for posting this thread....I wasn't able to post attachments to recent post and had to post photos directly to the post....taking up far too much space....

Purge or Archive?

I'm sure you guys are working on this, but is there a chance to avoid "purge" and "archive" instead?

There is a ton of good information on here. Purging just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for your efforts.

Here is the situation:

* We've maxed out the attachments table on the database that holds the forums data. Roger is working on this - we suspect it is a limitation imposed by the operating system and are waiting on confirmation from the hosting service. It has absolutely nothing to do with server space, which we have plenty of.

That's an unfortunate application issue if that is the restriction. Usually The fix for that sort of problem is file purging, depending of course upon whatever limitations are tied to the look-up table. If that is the "fix", it flies in the face of one of this sites current benefits, it is a resource for looking at photo's and attachments from other members. I am sure you recall the lost data and information that took place in 2004 when the server did crash. It would be sad to need to lose records by design.
I know that comments from the peanut gallery do not fix the issue but if asked, I would suggest restricting file size and also consider creating a second look up table for archived data, presuming the database supports multiple data tables. It must?
What database is this application running on? I have some friends that are pretty savvy in these sorts of issues that might possibly be persuaded to assist, presuming that this is not easily resolved.

All that would be purged are the build record images... not the text of the replies and not the other posts, with their pictures. These forums contain a lot of valuable information.

A size limit to images posted from now on may be imposed. But, we have to help those new to computers who may be daunted by having to re-size... offer to post for them if they can't figure it out.

Most of the people posting here didn't grow up with computers. Some don't have access to anything other than dial-up. But we want them to contribute, so this place must not only be friendly (which we all are :)) but also user-friendly.

Suggestions welcome... either post here in forums or email Benson or me.

We'll get there!

Kathy

Fixed. Without purging or loss of information. Should be good to go for a while. File size is now restricted to 500K or less. I can tell you how I did it, but if I do, I'm invoking the "Santa Clause" (google it).

Attachments

• djm magic lantern slide.jpg
    djm magic lantern slide.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 261
Awesome, Dan, I so appreciate this site and acknowledge all the hard work you and others put into the site and club.

Back