peterborough canoe

WKG,

With those numbers, it would have to be the Mermaid. I'm not the most knowledgeable on these things, but the numbers on that canoe are nearly identical to the ones on a one owner Mermaid I got recently. I didn't get to see your pics (not a FB guy....) but the numbers line up. What measurement is the 28" - inside or outside the gunnels? The factory measurement is outside. The numbers on the one I have are C 479 6 1814. My C could be a 0 or could your 0 be a C? It's possible these two canoes are 3 apart in serial number. I've attached the numbers from mine.

portagedog

DSC05600.jpg

The catalog dimensions for Peterborough Mermaid and Chestnut Fox were wrong. The reality is they typically measure 30" maximum beam with about an inch of tumblehome.

Dan,

Cool - thanks for that tidbit. What can you say about the numbers - does it look like these two canoes are that closely related?

pd

Not a chance. First, it doesn't need any repairs and second, it's sitting in a barn in Wisconsin waiting for me to pick it up. It's no where close to Calgary. There are more pics on another thread about a pair of these recently.

DSC05602.jpg

I figured that out, thanks, this is a one owner boat that has typical end rot so it will be getting ne inwales outwales, nicer seats and a nicer thwart
what year is yours?

WKG,

This was also a one owner boat, but untypically, has been thoughtfully cared for and stored inside all of it's life, though it has seen it's share of use from the Adirondacks to the Great Lakes to the BWCA. The original owner told me he bought it his senior year of high school in 1960 from a hardware store in Tonawanda, NY, so at latest, it's 1960, but could be 1959 or slightly older, depending on how long the store had it - hard to say....a few years ago I bought a Bell Northwind from a local sporting goods store that had the canoe on display for over 5 years before they clearanced it (and I got one heck of a deal...right time, right place). I might inquire with the fellow again to see if I can get some more of the backstory on it.

pd

Back