Robb White Sport Boat

I'm running my 3 phase Oliver on a variable frequency drive. My lathe was single phase, but I swapped the motor out and added a 3 phase motor and a vfd to give me easy speed control, forward and reverse and braking. The braking function is handy on the Oliver too. The blade spins down in a few seconds. That would be handy on a big bandsaw as I imagine it takes a while for the wheels/blade to come to a stop.

Ya, I thought about a VFD, but I have a number of 3 phase machines, with the jointer (Oliver 144) and BS direct drive, and the BS and Unisaw are/will be 3 hp, and a VFD that drives 3 hp is pricey.

I may keep an eye out for a couple small ones for maybe a large drill press or grinder, we'll see.

Dan

Over the weekend, I added 4 layers of fiberglass to the hull. Tonight, I added a coat of epoxy to fill the weave of the cloth. I'll add another coat or two before calling it quits on the exterior of the hull. I'll pull it off the forms this coming weekend. Sanding the inside is the worst part of the project, but fiberglassing the inside is the easiest.

fdfcb1cc.jpg

When are you going to sand the outside? We always found that it was a lot easier to do before pulling the boat off the forms.

I'll sand it after I glass the inside. I decided to wait because I didn't want the sanded surface to get scratched on my saw horses while sanding the inside. I was also anxious to take a look at it. Obviously, there is no reason I couldn't have sanded before I pulled it off the forms. I can't remember what sequence I used on previous builds.

Can't have too many clamps. My progress has been slow since I went out of town the last two weekends, but I epoxied the outer gunwales to the boat tonight. Tomorrow night I'll try to start fitting the inner gunwales. The tumblehome in the stern makes it tricky to get the gunwales to fit perpendicular to the sheer line. I have to make a 3.5' long tapering bevel on the inside that fits against the hull. The bevel ends up being around 45* at the stern.

9490d92e.jpg

I'm calling it 90% finished. I've submitted the paperwork to get it registered and I'm waiting for the inspection so that I can obtain registration numbers. A few things remain to be done. I need to make a detachable anchor lock for the bow, add a bow line, mount cleats in the stern and work on some cosmetic issues. The rain/high humidity hasn't been conducive to a good varnish finish. Once I spend some time in it, I may add rod holders and who knows what else. I want to try out a trolling motor mounted just behind the front thwart. If it tracks straight, I will add a small block of wood to the outside of the hull so that the trolling motor will mount properly. The person in the front seat will be able to operate the tm and it will raise up behind the front thwart.

edde4cc8.jpg

c9ed8884.jpg

bcfb1dec.jpg

c1655c1c.jpg

1e6a615b.jpg

Nice! Let us know how it rides. I'm wondering if it planes out or still acts like the Grumman as a displacement hull. I'm also wondering if it can be made as a lapstrake boat?

Here is a short clip from the maiden voyage.

Other than being a pain to load on my truck rack by myself, I don't have any complaints. I see a trailer in my future. I was able to paddle it from the rear seat with a kayak paddle. I don't think I'd want to go too far or paddle with anything other than minimal wind, but moving short distances won't be a problem. I didn't bring the push pole to try out. Standing won't be a problem. The boat is very stable. The kids were able to walk around. At the launch in shallow water, I stood with one leg in the boat and one leg over the side and the boat didn't feel like it would flip.

3fe7335d.jpg

The trim of the boat is not bad with just me and a 40 lbs. battery just behind the front thwart.

d0074674.jpg

In this photo, I have the trolling motor mounted on the transom and the battery behind the rear seat. If I were fishing, I'd have an ice chest, gear and anchor in front, so the trim isn't bad.

8be4ad88.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say its perfect. You might want to mount a seat amidships and add some oarlocks, my sportboat rowed beautifully. They are noted for rowing well. I think this boat has a great design, would be cool if built as a lapstrake? Not sure if it lends itself to that type of construction.

Back