Ring density for planking stock

John B in ID

Canoeist and Dreamer
Greetings from a wet Idaho!

I'm assembling material for a new build (Cheenaum) and am trying to acquire 3" x 3" planking stock that I can resaw on my table saw. I want to end up with 3" vertical grain planks of 5/32" thickness. But the question arises: How many lines per inch should the stock have? I can probably get 10 to 8 lines per inch in clear western red cedar, but more dense stock may be hard to find. Would 10 to 8 lines per inch be sufficient? Unfortunately, my immediate part of the West does not grow western red cedar and getting the good stuff takes an extra effort so your advice is appreciated before I go off end up with inferior stock.

John B in ID

Hi

3x3 is a good way to try to get quarter sawn. I've learned that if I insist on quarter sawn, then I'm the dreamer. Much less worry about growth rings per inch. I wouldn't care how dense it is if it's quarter sawn. I'm happy to get clear, so I think you'll be ok as long as you can sort for the choicest stock.

For the most part, I prefer planking that has the grain about 60degrees rather than perfectly vertical. vertical grain splits quite easily. planking with the grain at more of an angle does not split as much, and it will cup very nicely around the bilge if cupped away from the center of the tree. Flat sawn or horizontal grain planking expands too much and buckles if used on the bottom of the canoe. For me, 8 to 10 grain lines per inch is plenty.Gil

Thanks, Dave and Gil! You have put me at ease. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions before this project is done.

John B.

Back