Old Town 18' square stern keel/bottom rocker

SteveReynolds

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am helping restore an OT 18' square stern, and need to replace the keel and keelson. Once both those are off there is not much left to define the hull profile, especially since OT used 2-piece ribs for most of the hull. We need to reestablish the bottom rocker - I would assume it is pretty straight/flat except for the final 18" or so to the transom where it rises - does anybody have an actual table of offsets for this boat, or a good picture of the bottom of one in good condition showing the run of the keel? Thanks. Picture of the boat with keelson removed.

Attachments

• Denis canoe ribs 2 pieces.jpeg
    Denis canoe ribs 2 pieces.jpeg
    484.9 KB · Views: 32
Do you mean a paddling boat? Actually, I forget the term you call the square stern that curves up towards the transom. Like this? Otherwise, I think a square stern is pretty much flat to the transom.

Attachments

• IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 33
I don’t think there is much you can do about reintroduce factory rocker on a square stern. First and foremost, I don’t think there was any intended rocker. If so, it wasn’t much. I assume the keel and keelson were milled straight. I can’t think of a way to add rocker to any degree.
I've always milled keels and keelson flat, installed them and it goes where it goes….except near the transom on David Satter’s photo.

The photo I showed is a square end paddling canoe. I looked it up :) So there's Rocker in the stern curving up to the transom. I've only seen a couple of those over the years. They're really pretty boats. But I think other square sterns are pretty much without rocker like Dave Osborn mentioned.

Back