My Project

DGuertin

Inquiring Mind
I'm 53 and I still haven't the faintest idea what I want to do when I grow up, and I can't claim to be a wood worker, or a carpenter, or anything other than an inquiring mind, so....

For what it's worth, here's the results of my efforts...it ain't much but it's all mine, errors and all!

See http://tinyurl.com/ymaomy

Dennis

A simple answer When you grow up be a canoeist!
Woodworker rules
#1 - do not cut off your fingers
#2 -do not point out your mistakes

Bob - hmmmmm...building one myself? I thinking of down-sizing the home and doubt if I'll ever again have the room or workspace to do it...

Dan - I took all the suggestions on canvas and did some research on the number of threads by weave and warp, yarns per thread, yarn size and all that and figured the covering was just a base for the filler, i.e. the voids between the threads were more important because that's what anchors the filler than the type of thread, etc. When I looked at cost, this cotton/hemp blend was a couple of bucks a yard compared to the cotton-only canvas...no-brainer from a cost viewpoint and like I've said before I wanted to try this out as an experiment to see if I could actually do it!

Mike - The same brother who had this one sitting around for 10 years asked if I wanted to take a crack at his 18-foot freighter! That might be an interesting job, eh?

dboles - #1 project completed - all digits still attached - #2 yeah, I know, but sometimes they just jump out at ya, don't they?

Thanks for the kind comments, all!

Hey DB

I always point out my mistakes even tho I know the rule. Can't help it. I'll work on it. And as for keeping my digits---well they are still there. One is broken and crooked but I can still shoot a recurve. However, there was this kickback event with my table saw when I was running a test piece for an outwhale. My push stick was a piece of cherry that I made into a push stick. It was a straight piece and not curved. It went into the palm of my hand. and it broke. All push sticks should be curved to minimize the chance of a journey into the palm in the case of a kickback. I am pretty sure of that.
But those are good rules.

Woodworker rules
#1 - do not cut off your fingers
#2 -do not point out your mistakes

Actually, I would rate those number two and three...

The Number One Rule is to always ask yourself...

"If it slips, where's it going to go????"

Cheers,
Dan

"The most dangerous tool I own is the Utility Knife."

All helpful rules while adhering to Murphy's 3rd law which my friends follow religiously:
"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway"

Dan Miller said:
Actually, I would rate those number two and three...

The Number One Rule is to always ask yourself...

"If it slips, where's it going to go????"

Cheers,
Dan

"The most dangerous tool I own is the Utility Knife."

Yep...I agree with Dan.

It slipped and a piece of white oak 3/4" x 3/4" went right through the interior wall and out through the siding of the shop. That was the first time and I hope to never see the second...stay alert.

My drywall square and Utility Knife still have stains on them from a mishap...a reminder to keep your eye on the job!

Ric

inquiring minds

So Dennis;
My inquiring mine would like to know if you scortched the
hemp with a torch, and how did it smell ?

Just had to ask !!!

Dave Mc Daniel

dave, i make all my pushsticks from cedar. they get chewed but since they are soft they are less likely to be grabbed.

Sounds expensive. :)
I used to work with a guy that seemed to believe this.
He got a reputation, after a while when somebody screwed up and did something stupid, they "Bruced" it.

If it jams, there's probably a reason for it.

Dan

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway"

Back