Skowhegan boat restoration project

JQLogger81

I just recently picked up a pair of projects. One is an old fiberglass racing canoe, but the other, the one that matters most, is a 1930's-51ish Skowhegan boat.
I've been able to do a little research on the company, but really haven't gotten a lot of information.
I've learned that the company was in business from the '30s-'51ish and that their manufacturing plant in Norridgewock, Maine burned down in 1946 with all their molds and records. I'm not sure how to find out what year or model mine is.
I want to restore it, which means new canvas has to be put on. This is my very first boat restoration and I want as much information as possible before I jump in.
Any advice and information on my project will be greatly appreciated.
Also how do I find out what it is or could be valued at?

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_160338399_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230903_160338399_HDR.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20230903_160348566_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230903_160348566_HDR.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20230903_160408581.jpg
    IMG_20230903_160408581.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20230903_160457991.jpg
    IMG_20230903_160457991.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 85
Welcome and congratulations, there isn't much information available about Skowhegan other than a few old catalogs. The page at the first link below provides the basic outline. The second link has a 1940 catalog. You should be able to identify your model of your boat by matching the dimensions to the ones listed in the catalog. These boats are similar to wood and canvas canoes so the restoration and canvassing processes are very close. You can probably value it by reviewing the boats listed at https://www.woodencanoe.org/classifieds and elsewhere. The information at the third link below is intended to help value old canoes but most of those principles will apply to your boat. However, the price ranges for wooden boats tend to be lower than the ones for wooden canoes. Please post your progress here and feel free to reply if you have other questions. Good luck with the project,

Benson

Last edited:
Restoration usually means much, much more work than new canvas, depending on the outcome you are looking for.
From the little I can see of the boat, it does indeed look like good condition, but you should consider stripping the old varnish.
With the old canvas off, it’s the only time you would get to do that and make any other repairs.

Reactions: MGC
I very much appreciate all the comments. I still have a lot of questions about the restoration process I'm about to undertake. Can anyone recommend a good book or video that will explain in detail?

There are two main books you should start with, Mike Elliott's "This Old Canoe" and Jerry & Rollin's book "The Wood and Canvas Canoe. I've included links to these books for you to review and I think they are available through the WCHA store.
Best of luck, Gary

As Dave Osborn said, having the canvas off is the time to strip the varnish. To elaborate on that: after you apply stripper and wait a few hours or a day, then you need to scrape, scrub, and hose off the residue. Without canvas, your rinse water can escape through the planking gaps and that makes the job a lot easier. That's important because you may have to repeat it several times! I know I did....

Back