Linseed oil?

johnmetts

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hi everybody,

Just getting into my first restoration and finding the planking on a 1916 Carlton is quite dry. I'm removing the old varnish now and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to give her a few coats of double boiled linseed oil (on the outside). Is this too early and just a waste of oil - or possibly beneficial?

Also, any ideas on brands of double boiled linseed oil that are what they claim to be - good for wood with short drying time and also workable for canvas filler recipes?

All ideas are appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks.

John in Michigan.

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to give her a few coats of double boiled linseed oil (on the outside). Is this too early and just a waste of oil - or possibly beneficial?

John,

If you search linseed oil on this site you will find quite a bit of related discussion. Some of us use it, some of us don't.
Rollin and Jerry's book recommends it. Note that they heat the oil (carefully) before applying it. Rollin has an oil can sitting on the stove in his shop ready to go.... Some folks varnish their hulls rather than oil them....

Apply it as soon as your hull is fared...then give it some time to to absorb and dry before you canvas.

Here's a recent related thread that includes my "recipe" that I apply. I do not apply straight oil. I blend it with turpentine and mineral spirits.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?14558-Rollin-wins-the-battle&highlight=linseed+oil

Thank you for the quick response. Good info and I will proceed as before and hold off on applying until it is time.

jm

GAry Willoughby is right down the road in Grayling and he is a wealth of skill and info. You might try to look him up.

yes. and restorer. He also builds AuSable drift boats. Lots of experience and skills He is frequently on this forum. And I think he can be found in the members list.

Back