Keel 'cup' washers

Hello cup washer friends! I have a follow-up to my previous post. I received the #8 brass cup washers from Lyman's Boats. They turned out to be an exact fit onto the profile of the #6 screws I'll be using for the keel of my boat. So... it didn't suit the purpose of keeping the screw from pulling deeply into the wood and filling the countersink in the wood. On the bright side... my fear of having my # 6 screw pull through a #8 washer were unfounded. I ordered a new set of #10 washers to see how they would do. My assessment is that they do very well! They are slightly smaller than the original (by 1/16 of an inch) but they fit the screw well and even allow the screw head to be below deck surface. In the photos i have only lightly tightened these down so they still sit a little proud. There is a slight flange on the top edge of the washer that is smaller, but mimics the original. I'll include photos to this post. Let me know if you have any questions. So far, I think these are the ticket for my boat.

Attachments

• 20220626_155804.jpg
    20220626_155804.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20220626_155829.jpg
    20220626_155829.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20220626_160824.jpg
    20220626_160824.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 184
Hi, Andy........Seems a good fit. I see a chamfer on the edge of the screw edge that does not allow for a finished line to line fit with the washer. I have never seen a slotted wood screw with this chamfer, but then again I can't say I have made a study of all screws available then and now. Curious.
Dave

@dtdcanoes Thank you! I hadn't even noticed that. These are silicon bronze screws from Northwoods Canoes. I've got a whole mess of them, so that's what I will end up using. Thanks for the info. I wonder what else I haven't noticed! Perhaps you can also see with your keen eye that I've already made marks on that screw while putting it in! It surprised me since I was very careful and have a nearly new screwdriver. Maybe I wasn't using the right size?

Ive never used a lot of bronze screws. The ones I have seemed to have a shallower slot in them making driving them difficult. Maybe I just got some that were on the low end of the slot tolerance. Anybody else notice shallow slots on bronze screws?

Howie, the Original canoe god is speaking. The Veazie didn't have bronze in the boat and he has spoken. Maybe clean them up and return them to their rightful place ? Just saying , they say.
Dave

Dave/dtcanoes: The cup washers were needed for a Peterborough ikt has stainless finish washers that were just hideous. Haven't started digging too deep in the Veazie yet -it has unexpected rot so it's way down on the list. I'm finishing up on a 17' 1914 HW, then there's a 11' 50 Pounder to paint, and I've just started on the Rushton IG.

Hi, Howie.........And , the facts matter, especially today . Sorry I got it wrong on the subject of originality. You have a bundle ahead for work, but all nice projects, indeed . The bronze screws do have a use somewhere, but I have always reused the original brass if possible. In all the boats I have done, I don't think I have ever used one bronze dude.
I do hope you are having fun with all this. I can't imagine not !
Dave

Oh geezwhiz! I just discovered that I've been playing around with #8 screws instead of #6 screws. Glad I didn't get very far! Here's what the washers I've previously posted look like with a #6 screw. Perfect fit! Sorry for any confusion I may have created...

Attachments

• 1657412398111739961987684885140.jpg
    1657412398111739961987684885140.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 109
Andy,
IMHO your screw is too small for this washer. I believe that the top of the screw head should be relatively flush with the top of the washer.
Dave

Hello, Dave! Thank you for your response here. I agree with you and it brings up a question I've had since starting work on my canoe... should I strive to keep my restoration as original as possible or make a change when it will be an improvement to the boat? You would not be surprised, I'm sure to know that a few if the original washers were split because of the smaller screw size... thank you again for your input! Andy

Hi Andy. Yes, it should be flush, hence a finish washer. Remember, a change may change the history of the boat and all that went to its development. It may also loose some charm , unique and distinguishing feature, aspects of a particular boat that often go unnoticed and are discovered by someone in this group. I have always felt that unless there was some major consideration regarding cost , time , or whatever, the fix was only needed after 50 or 100 years or more so just do it the way it was done. So it took another two hours. As they say, maybe it's just me.
Have fun. Dave

@dtdcanoes thank you so much! Keeping this canoe as original as possible has been my main goal. One of my favorite things about this whole process has been learning the history of these canoes.

Back