It's Official - my '51 OTCA project

Re-reading my notes earlier in the thread, I got two full coats on using 4/5 of a gallon of the filler. The first coat was tinted darker so I could see when I was sanding through the second coat. And then the remainder of the filler I spread with a flexible stainless steel spreader, to maximize filling in the low areas.

I had one do something similar once.
I removed the canvas to find that the varnish between the planks erupted when the planks swelled causing the bump along the plank seam.
I scraped out the excess varnish between the planks and recanvassed it. No problem after that.
I no longer attempt to fill plank seams with varnish and always varnish before canvassing.

I had one do something similar once.
I removed the canvas to find that the varnish between the planks erupted when the planks swelled causing the bump along the plank seam.
I scraped out the excess varnish between the planks and recanvassed it. No problem after that.
I no longer attempt to fill plank seams with varnish and always varnish before canvassing.
That all sounds about right. I'm sure I had plenty of varnish going between the planks and onto the canvas. But how I hate the thought of removing the keel and stem bands and outer stems and outwales, and canvasing again! Well I no longer have a place to do it for a while so I guess I can just take my time getting used to the idea:)

M&M .... this could be a half full cup. You could find another canoe because this one needs a c orrection that will take some time and doing, and you don't want to miss out on another season. I think maybe you should go on the hunt sooner than later, and yes, it does seem a bit vicarious on my part. Sooo ?
Dave

M&M .... this could be a half full cup. You could find another canoe because this one needs a c orrection that will take some time and doing, and you don't want to miss out on another season. I think maybe you should go on the hunt sooner than later, and yes, it does seem a bit vicarious on my part. Sooo ?
Dave
I'm also thinking maybe just use it and let the canvas do its funky thing, until I can re-do it. Unless or until it causes the canvas to crack it can't really hurt anything, right? BTW it seems to have dried down to pretty nearly flat, hard to believe...

I know the probable answer but is there any possibility, once a canvas has been filled and painted, of somehow carefully removing it and putting it back on? Like if I could preserve its form carefully, could I work on the hull and then reattach the canvas?

Other than that, I may need someone up here in WA, while I'm up here, to re-do the canvas for me as I no longer have a shop and I don't think I have the time, will nor inner strength to do this again...

Oh, yes that can be done and I know a builder who while gone now has done it more than once. I never talked with him much regarding the technique but given that you have canvased to finish before I should think you could reflect a good deal on careful handling, supporting etc. to keep it sound without any cracking, creasing, and it would go back on very well with a good level of satisfaction.
I bet there are others here who can advise. It is certainly worth a try as you have just time to loose . I should think the max patience should be used at the stems as you will not have much to waste if you
go too fast and loose even 1/2 inch. Take pics. Others are interested as your plight is not that rare.
Above all, have some fun with lots of pics.

Back