Racine (?) restoration

Thanks Dan, like the idea of skipping the burn off. Will investigate some other brands of mildecide and perhaps use some in a hot water shrink wipe before the mastic.

Looked but did not find a mildicide that I was happy with. I am 66 years old and expect the canvas to outlast me. Hate to deprive the next generation of canoe salvage folks the fun of recanvasing.

Applied the first coat of RT-10 and it took an hour and used 1/3 of the gallon. Takes some elbow grease to work it into the weave thoroughly on this first coat. Was a little concerned with amount to order, but it appears one gallon is more than enough for an 18 ft canoe. I ordered this product direct from the manufacturer in BC Canada and the shipping (Can/US mail) was a little more than the price of the goo. Total was about $70.

More as progress continues...

Third coat of RT-10 and keel re attached. May flip it over and work on topside while waiting for paint mail order to arrive.

Racine.jpg

Looking good, Shaun. Do you hope to paddle it yet this fall? Beautiful paddling weather today here in the U. P. of MI... hoping it holds for a while.

Racine 016.jpg Racine 018.jpg Racine 019.jpg

Much topside work completed: Reused original outwales (one splice and some patching), stained inner and outer wales and the decks, installed seats with oak dowels, made and installed center portage thwart of walnut (walnut paddles roughed out pics later). Can you identify the solid brass flush mount oval head bolts used to attach seats and thwart? Hint, they are cheap and available at lumber and hardware stores everywhere.

Yes! Threads are 1/4-20, also available in 5/16, 2 1/4 and 4" lengths packaged in pairs with brass castle head nuts and chrome washers. Used 3/8" forstner drill bit to countersink.
Paint scheduled to arrive today...

Last edited:
RacineCanoe 001.jpg Racine 020.jpg

Before and after

When I picked this canoe up from CL a couple years ago it was advertised suitable only for hanging in a cabin as decor...

Pleased to declare this one ready for the water after another 5 days of paint cure.

Three coats of Easypoxy jade green, spar varnish on woodwork, brass end bands cleaned up and installed. Time to finish up the matching paddles. Maiden voyage photos in a week or so. Thanks for the comments and following along.

Back