Inwale ends and stem end repairs on an 18 ft. Old Town Guide model

Jim_in_No.MN

paddler and restorer
I'm about to start work on repairing the inwale ends and stem ends on a 1936 Old Town Guide model canoe. The inwale ends came together in a long mitered joint at the stem, and apparently, were nailed down into the ends of the stems. I'll need to replace the stem end and the inwale ends a both bow and stern. I was planning on replacing these in the same configuration. But, has anyone taken a different approach? I have seen other canoes where the inner rails are joined to the stem end in mortised joint. This seemed stronger than a couple of finishing nails, but would I just being making work?

The original method is certainly simpler. If you plan to do the more complicated joint as in many chestnut canoes, I have a series of videos on the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwSih76wcw

Thanks for your response Rod. I've had a few days to deconstruct the bow and stern to get at the stems, assess all the needed stem and inwale repairs, and work on repairing the deck ends. I think I'm on track now to do the simpler repair to the original configuration - which lasted 80 years. With any luck my repairs will take the canoe another 80 years into the future.

Back