History for 1913 OTCA #27169

Russ Hoffman

Curious about Wooden Canoes
We found our 1913 OTCA 18' at an estate auction house in Ridgefield, Connecticut. As it nears its 100th birthday, we would like to learn more of its history. When we got it, the canvas had been removed, as if it were a restoration project that never quite got going. If anyone knows this canoe, we would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Russ and Seti Hoffman
Centennial, Colorado

Here are a before and after picture: 12 Complete 02.jpg01 Starting Point 02.jpg

Russ,

Old Town #27169 was an 18-foot CS (or common sense) OTCA built in May and June, 1913, and shipped to a company that had no address listed on the build record. It had open spruce gunwales, maple decks, and ash thwarts and seats. It also had finish rails and a keel. The original color was dark green.

I have attached the build record from Old Town.

Norm

Attachments

• 27169.jpg
    27169.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 406
Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure what you mean. How does the Edward K Tryon company figure in?

Russ,

You're welcome. Kathy sent the Tryon info because that's where the canoe was originally shipped. See the attached build record.

Norm

Thanks! The copy of the build sheet I had did not have the "shipped to" info.

Anyone know what happened with this canoe after Tryon bought it July 1913, and up to when I bought it in February 2011?

Pieces are coming together!

Tryon was a sporting goods company... it could have sat there for a while. Sometimes a canoe's owner will contact Old Town with questions or send the canoe back to the factory for repairs, in which case Old Town would make a note on the back of the build record card. Since the back of the card has no such notations, wherever the canoe went after Tryon's is hard to say unless someone jumps in here, or unless the people you got her from know more. In any case, you're making new history with this canoe-- enjoy! And post pictures as you bring the old girl back to life to begin another century of paddling adventures!

Kathy

Back