Info on 1967 Centennial 25' Chestnut canoe

Nachako

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have at my disposal 2 1967 25' Centennial Chestnut wood canvas canoes . That have just been restored ( thanks Gregor & Mark )
These gems are going to be celebrating their 50th birthday this year and we are having a mini celebration in Lake Louise Alberta on July 1
What I am looking for is a little more info/history on these boats
Here's what I have correct me if I'm wrong

There was 5 of them built by the Chestnut Canoe Company in 1967 as part of a Centennial ceremonial paddling race one of the longest across Canada
Supposedly starting in Rocky Mountian House Alberta and ending in Montreal
But last minute they were exchanged for fibreglass ones in stead.
Remained in Alberta

Any additional info would be appreciated
Bruce B is a friend and I have the book on Chestnut Canoes
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Voyageur_Canoe_Pageant
That's how I got this far.

Thanks Paul

Last edited:
That's wonderful you have two of these canoes! I wish I could help with some concrete info on them. What I do know is that one of the fiberglass ones that was used for the race is on display at Rocky Mountain House National Historic site. The display describes the race and I believe they also had some information on the participants. Possibly you could contact them and they may be able to point you in a direction to investigate?

What is the celebration that is planned? I'm only a few hours from Lake Louise and it may be something fun for the family?

Claude Delisle

Nothing big. Something more or less for the tourists. But also celebrating the restoration and Birthday or these two gems.

Last edited:
Have you tried speaking to James Raffan or Jeremy Ward of the Canoe Museum in Peterborough? They might have some additional information. Good Luck!

Alex

Paul,

I was part of a David Thompson celebration in 2008 that paddled one of the old Centennial Fibreglass canoes from Rocky Mountain House to Prince Albert. ( The rest of Brigade continued on to Fort William on Lake Superior) .
Along with that Brigade was one of the original Centennial paddlers from Saskatchewan, Norm Crerar.

I may have his contact info and that of a few others that may be able to assist. Drop me a note offline at wbruceclarkathotmaildotcom.

Bruce

Back