First Project - 1954 Old Town Fishing Boat

Thkuist

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi everyone - about three years ago I was perusing Craig's List looking for tools, and wandered over into the boats section. An ad for an Old Town boat caught my eye, and once I clicked on it I was done - it was a beauty.

The fellow who was selling it had bought it from it's original owner up in Maine. All original (more or less) and included the original Johnson outboard, Mastercraft Trailer, and all of the accessories that were available for it in 1954.

From the photo, it looked to be in very good shape. I made the call, and went to see it. Found that the boat had been stored outside, covered, but the cover had leaked. Long story short, id didn't look quite as pristine as in the photo.

Of course, I had always wanted to own a wood and canvas canoe, and though I hadn't any real experience with one since camping as a kid, I was smitten and made the deal.

It wasn't until I got the boat home that I realized that a number of thwarts had suffered from being wet for too long, and are punky. It was only then that I knew that the boat would need a full restoration.

So, naturally, I put the thing into storage while I researched my options. Bought the book (Stelmok/ Thurlow) and read all the articles that I could find. And then, I waited. But, now that Spring is rolling around again, I am gearing up to dig into it.

This process may take some time, as these things do. I hope that you all will provide some support and share in your wisdom, as the questions, I am sure, are to be many. I have extensive experience working in wood, so am confident in my ability to complete the project.

It would seem that the first order of business will be to remove the canvas (I hope it's canvas, and not glass...), a process which seems simple enough, but there is a complicating factor in that there is a forward deck, and therein lies my first question: How much of the deck will I need to remove in order to remove the outer rail? How best to approach?

I am including some photos, which were the seller's photos. I will add more later.

Tim

Attachments

• 53OT1.jpg
    53OT1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 53OT2.jpg
    53OT2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 53OT4.jpg
    53OT4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 53OT5.jpg
    53OT5.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 53OT6.jpg
    53OT6.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 53OT9.jpg
    53OT9.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 317
I realized that a number of thwarts had suffered from being wet for too long, and are punky. ... How much of the deck will I need to remove in order to remove the outer rail? How best to approach?

The "thwarts" in this case are simply removable bows that support the canvas cover so you should be able to easily replace them. You may be able to remove the outer gunwale without impacting the deck at all. There should be a six digit serial number on the inside stem and on the center transom brace. You can post it here to get a copy of the original build record. Good luck with the restoration project,

Benson

OK, here's the number: 158962

And a few more current photos:

photo 1-4 (2).jpg

photo 2-4 (2).jpg

photo 2-5 (2).jpg

And under the deck:

under deck small.jpg

From the photos, on a guess, it looks like fiberglass. I could be wrong.
If it is glass, and in good shape, leave it.
But that doesn't do you any good if you have punky ribs to replace...the glass needs to go in that case for proper repair.
Looks like you won't have to remove any decking to get the outwale off. If it is constructed like I think it is, it should just come off by removing the screws.
Keep us posted on progress. Ask questions....as Red Green says, "we're all in this together"!

Well, I've had a bit of time to work on this, and find that I need to replace at least a dozen ribs and do some work on the transom. So, the glass must come off. Has anyone any advise on how best to remove the glass? I know that it won't be easy, but necessary.

Thanks, Tim

Search these forums for removing fiberglass, and also look on YouTube -- Kathy Klos posted a fine video of Denis doing this job. It's not difficult, but it's tedious. Use a heat gun and a plastic putty knife, or a steel putty knife with the corners relieved. Work SLOWLY, so you don't start peeling up the wood with the 'glass. Work in a well-ventilated area.

'Glass makes repairs much more difficult than canvas, which is why folks stick to canvas.

similar boat

Nice boat. Hard to believe the seller posted those photos of before the damage was done.
I have a 1951 14' Sport Boat which looks to be very similar to yours. Here are a few photos for inspiration.

Attachments

• DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0182.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 233
Search these forums for removing fiberglass, and also look on YouTube

Of course, I should have done that right off. Lot's of good info; not a lot of fun apparently. So it goes, no turning back now. I hope that I can have this boat ready to hit the water this season!

Tim

Back