First Restoration

NUMB3R

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm new to all this but have been looking at doing a restoration for a long time. I recently picked up an old Canadian Canoe Company 14' (at least I think it is) and am in the process of stripping it down. It had had a "professional" restoration about 10 years ago, where they replaced the inwales, outwales, decks, 3 ribs, did some sort of repair to the stems, and a new canvas which is now rotten. All in all the restoration was pretty piss poor in my opinion. One of the new ribs went in broken and made the planking bulge around it, the new ribs also seem to be either pine or fir instead of cedar. The stem repairs look like a piece of wood scabbed behind the original stems, and the shear line seems to have been lowered, probably due to rotten rib tips. Other than that the boat seems to be in pretty good condition overall. My question is about the planking. None of it is rotten, but some of it is splitting along the grain, like its dried out. Does this planking need to be replaced?

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't replace it. I'd try to add a few tacks in strategic places to tighten up any looseness due to the split. And maybe put a tack at the end of the split to try to prevent it from running further.

And maybe put a tack at the end of the split to try to prevent it from running further.

Usually all you need to do to prevent a split from growing is drill a 1/16" hole at the end of it. Otherwise, what Dave said. Unless really bad, the only reason to replace planking is cross-grain breaks.
Dan

Thanks for the help. One more quick question that may sound a little dumb, just know that I am new to wood canoes, always owned fibreglass before.

Should the wood sound like its cracking when light pressure is applied? I can hear it, but don't see anything. I"m thinking its the tacks or the finish, or maybe its the wood?

What are your thoughts?

I had the cracking sound as well on my boat, the wood was grey and sort of delaminating in a sense. I did replace some planking that split badly when I replaced several ribs but wouldn't do so again if given the choice. Once the wood was oilled well the cracking sound went away.

Does it look like this?
atthebeginning020.jpg

I've started stripping the interior, it seems as if all the wood is red cedar. I assumed it would be white cedar.

I will try oiling it once all the old varnish is off.

I am also thinking of lowering the shearline a little since the planking is lower than the inwales by almost an inch in some spots, not to mention I have to replace the inwales anyway. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Back