1954 Guide

Jeff Thomas

Hi All,
New to the group. I appreciate any help that can be offered. I have an 18 foot 1954 Old Town Guide. The canoe was gifted to me from a family member. It doesn't fit the needs of my family. The canoe suffered some damage to the bow during a move. I'm interested in selling the canoe. Would it be better to restore and then sell or sell as is. Not sure what the canoe is worth in either condition. Again any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome and congratulations, the information at the first link below should help you with the value question. It is almost always better to sell as is rather than restore if your goal is to make money. The second link below is to the WCHA classifieds which has canoes in a variety of conditions. This is usually the fastest way to find a good new home for a canoe like this. The third link has the instructions to create a listing. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

Last edited:
Hi Jeff and welcome. If you have the time, equipment, skill and interest to do a restoration yourself, you'll make more money than if you have a professional do the restoration. Otherwise, the simplest and fastest option is to sell it as is.

In addition to putting an ad in the Classifieds here, which is the best place to get focused attention from wood canoe afficionados, you can also advertise it on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and the Classifieds forums of other canoe sites such as this one and this one. The more places you advertise, the more likely a buyer will find you. Take good pictures from various angles of every part of the canoe, point out and picture the damaged area, and be honest in your description.

Wood canoes are a niche market, but New England is one of the best areas to buy and sell them or to have them restored.

Back