1954 Otca AA restoration planking question

mayday

East Tennessee Canoeist
I am restoring a 1954 OT Otca. The theoretical question I have regards gaps between planks. Most of the planks are butted end to end and side to side well. I have no problem understanding how they will prevent water from flowing under the canvas from the floor...however some boards have a 1/32 to 1/8" gap between the boards. Now, this is my first project with a wood-canvas canoe, so tell me, if water is splashed into the boat is there a problem with water bleeding through that tiny area and filling the space between the hull and canvas? When I varnish it will the varnish fill the gap? Do I need to replank the entire boat if the sides are not 100% butted?

Jeff Wadley

Hi Jeff,

This question has been asked many times because it is an obvious and scary "flaw" in the eyes of people new to wood-canvas canoes. But this method of canoe construction has a very long history, and works just fine. The canvas is so tight to the hull that there is no space for water to flow in and slosh around. When removing an old canvas, there is often found a bit of sand and maybe even a thin layer of silt from mud, but there is never as much as you might expect given those large gaps that can exist between planks.

Filling the gaps might well cause problems. Because the gaps allow planking to expand and contract without affecting hull integrity, fulling the gaps with anything rigid could lead to buckling of the planking if the planks swell against each other.

Some people worry about the appearance of white canvas lines between planks after re-canvassing, and some go so far as to apply stain with an artist's brush to the canvas that shows. I don't, and the canvas is hardly if at all noticable after the restoration job is complete. And even if it is, it will quickly age with use so that it becomes invisible.

Hope this helps allay your worries.

Michael

Back