chestnut cruiser

SWEETWATER

LOVES Wooden Canoes
im about to purchase a chestnut cruiser, can someone give me some info on it, the model itself, and is this also called the cronje and how does this compare to the prospector?

Hi Derek,

You are going to like it! The Cruisers were offered in three sizes, the 16 foot Kurger (in the second grade finish), the 17 foot Cronje and the 18 foot Stossel. The first grade names were Premier, Primus and Leader but most Cruisers went out as the second grade boats.

The "Cronje" was listed as 17 X 36 X 12 1/4, 70 pounds and the Prospector "Garry" is 17 X 37 X 14 1/2, 80 pounds.

In addition the Cronje has a more rounded bottom and has a much finer entry. The Cronje should have two caned seats, most Prospectors were furnished with the slat seats.

SVL

Good comparison, Andre.

Our project Cronje has had the cane replaced by nylon cording, it was a common practice at the tripping camps.

Attachments

• Cronje 010.jpg
    Cronje 010.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 659
  • Cronje 011.jpg
    Cronje 011.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 653
steve , sorry i dont think it is cord but the babiche' and i think it also has the wanigan ribs also

The babiche may not be original. I am not aware of any Chestnuts coming from the factory with other than cane or slat seats, but, I could be wrong.

The wanigan ribs are pretty much a Keewaydin/Wabun thing. I have heard that Chestnut may have installed them at the factory, but it is more likely that they were installed at the camps to keep the wanigans from damaging the regular ribs.

it definitly has the babiche' or laced seats ,and as far as i know he told me it is all original he bought it actually in 1965 new from chestnut and he might of had these features added. when i pick it up i will get the whole story. he was a councilor at keewaydin in the 40's and 50's, he told me, so i guess he could have asked for the upgrades from experience. i will also see if he has the original bill of sale and you can check it out whenever you want once i pick it up. i am hoping to grab it in a week or 2. it also comes with 2 wannigans he had made and a tumpline and an xtra thwart for the wannigans he said that goes in the center

it definitly has the babiche' or laced seats ,and as far as i know he told me it is all original he bought it actually in 1965 new from chestnut and he might of had these features added. when i pick it up i will get the whole story. he was a councilor at keewaydin in the 40's and 50's, he told me, so i guess he could have asked for the upgrades from experience. i will also see if he has the original bill of sale and you can check it out whenever you want once i pick it up. i am hoping to grab it in a week or 2. it also comes with 2 wannigans he had made and a tumpline and an xtra thwart for the wannigans he said that goes in the center

sounds like a keewaydin boat, perhaps he ordered one for himself or obtained one from the camp. ribs are nailed from outside in like regular ribs, my understanding is they were ordered that way from factory along with carrying thwarts, neither of which are standard for chestnuts. the babiche seats show up, i believe they had a lower grade boat available and sold through department stores that had them. anyways they made snowshoes by the gazillions so its not a stretch that canoes could have them. I had a keewaydin boat with them. as well, a chestnut.

andre thanks, as soon as i get it, i will post some pics and any info i get from the owner , slash exkeewaydin councilor

That should make a fine tripping canoe for you and your son. Just watch out for the Squatches.

Happy New Year.

if you want to take a trip when i pick it up your more than welcome, fitz, he is like a half hour from you

Chestnut Canoe Company babiche seats

Several Chestnut Canoe Co. brochures I have list babiche seats as an available accessory. I suspect they would be the same seats that the Huron canoes used. Chestnut also sometimes used basic babiche seats on their pleasure canoes. See pictures.

Attachments

• 16 Chest Pal Harvey Fraser 12 12 003.jpg
    16 Chest Pal Harvey Fraser 12 12 003.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 726
  • 16 Chest Pal Harvey Fraser 12 12 004.jpg
    16 Chest Pal Harvey Fraser 12 12 004.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 810
  • 16 Chest Pal Harvey Fraser 12 12 007.jpg
    16 Chest Pal Harvey Fraser 12 12 007.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 652
i am the proud owner of a chestnut cruiser .i want to thank steve lapey and fitz for pointing me to this canoe.a very nice barn find indeed as it was covered in dird droppings and dirt.and thanks to fitz for helping me pick it up today.it came with 4 paddles ( 2 chestnut and a guide paddle and a beavertail style) 2 wannigans , 2 tumplines,a tumpline thwart, camping equipment including a coleman stove.i will post some pics. tomorrow

Great boat! love those slender cruiser decks. Doesnt seem to have the wanigan ribs and carry handles, nor the number so perhaps it was just his personal boat rather than a fleet boat. nice score!

You are going to love paddling this one. I would not trade my Cronje for anything. Macky

Back