Another Cronje back in the water

Bruce Whittington

Curious about Wooden Canoes
It's been a long time coming, but today we we went for a paddle in my 17' Chestnut Cruiser, "Cronje" model, which I have had since it was new in early 1972. This is a one-time restoration for me, to pass it on to my kids (but do a little exploring first.) I leaned heavily on this forum for advice, and I'm pleased with the results. There are some other threads under my name. Last summer I got it ready for canvas, but decided not to learn how to do that for one canoe, and took it to Mark Reuten of Nomad Boatbuilding in Victoria, BC (link on the forum)
DSCN0111A.jpg
_DSC6050 (1).jpg
. He suggested we try using 12 oz canvas (wanting to keep the weight down) and a mastic waterproofing product as filler, which he has used before (dries blue). We are not planning to do any river work so the lighter skin seemed a good plan, and in the end the canoe is 73 lbs, five less than when it was new. Through the winter I recaned the seats with material from Beseated in Canada. This year it was time for paint, new ash one piece outwales, and final varnish. I had issues with the paint: I bought enamel from Cloverdale Paints, a respected chain in Canada. It was very thick, would not level well, could not be "tipped. All the literature said "do not thin" but I had to thin, and use a lot of Penetrol. I've done better paint jobs, I have to say. Chestnut grey/green colour was matched by them from a gunwale scrap, which itself was a custom tint years ago on a repaint. But it feels about right. Anyway, many thanks for helpful advice and cheerful encouragement along the way - with your help, she's a pretty boat again.

Beautiful final product, Bruce! The color is nice and I love the photo of the canoe on the water. You must be very pleased. The fact that you've had this canoe since new makes the story all the better. Congratulations on a job well done.

Michael

What a beauty. I wanted to built one ("after fire" model) but no plans seems to be available. I built a 16' E.M.White with quite similar shape, but I still wonder how Cruiser handles.

To me it is like F-16 among the canoes.

looks great, which cloverdale product did you use? i had some custom matched and it would not flow out at all, even with Owatrol added. i talked to one of their techs and they said it needed to be thinned with toluene. not gonna do that, shame since the colour was perfect.

Beautiful! Very nicely done restoration- great to see another one back on the water.

And I love the colour! I'm second owner of Chestnut Grey 16' Prospector. Mine looks a little "greyer" than yours but it could just be the sun.
Prospector.jpg

I'd like to be able to colour match the canvas when I need to replace it too, so would appreciate any info you have to share ...

Cheers!
Bruce

Thanks for these kind words - it means a lot from other canoe fans. To the other Bruce, your Prospector does look more grey than my restored canoe; we may never know which is "right". I did find some old images of my canoe when newer - the one below from an old slide taken in 1978. (Apparently before the dawn of dry-bags . . . ) And it looks like your canoe has rawhide seats? I thought Prospectors had slat seats?

As for the paint, it is Cloverdale "Maintenance Enamel"; not what you would be drawn to use for marine use, but what they recommend, and I could get it tinted, even with the same grade of tinting stock that is in the paint, so it is considered a pro grade product. It was very quick to skin over, even when applied in the shade at 20º C. When I finished a patch about a foot square, I could not smooth it back into the wet edge without the brush dragging. So I ended up with almost as much Penetrol as the maximum they suggest, plus some of Cloverdale's thinner. The paint seems like very good quality, but it is sure heavy. By contrast, the Epifanes varnish I used on the inside went on like a dream.

The 1978 photo:

canoe Lanezi Lake.jpg

Regards - another Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for info on the paint. I'll need to recanvass in a few years and matching the Chestnut Grey is a concern.

You're right about the colour but it is hard to tell tone and tint from photos alone.
We'd need to sit them side by side...

And yup- most Prospectors have slat seats; my Pal does too.
Those are factory installed babiche seats, part of the upgrades, along with a keel installed, ordered in July 1971.
For the supreme price of $318 cdn, tax included.

And here is a photo of "my" Prospector in the late 70's/early 80's. Still looks more grey than your canoe.
The Carrolls Canoe in action.jpg

Cheers!
Bruce

Chestnut grey/green, or moss, is different that the grey above. lots of debate over it but yours looks great, if just a bit 'greener' than original. Here's a few shots of a boat i did in at attempt to recreate Tom Thomsons grey/blue canoe. Never know if its close but it was fun to do. Wartime Peterboroughs and Chestnuts often had slat seats, even the pleasure models.
thomson.JPG
thomson 2.JPG

Back