chestnut cruiser

I have Ken Solways book and there is another, "When the Chestnut was in Flower" I think. Glad to loan you the book. There was an outfit that sold CCC t-shirts?

that what he said right from the factory and both seats were on it, both his sons went to keewaydin also so he probably picked it up when dropping them off or picking them up. thanks i would love to read the book, i have quite a few good books about maine ,we could loan each other.

(note that the chestnut seats use the same lacing hole arrangement as their cane seats -- fabre canoes wrap around the frame -- while simpler and perhaps a little more ascetically pleasing, i find the leading edges can get uncomfortable on the back of thighs -- particularly when kneeling)

thanks ian, it looks just like my seats minus the mahogany.i just won a bunch of chestnut paper memorabelia on ebay from 1965,the year of my canoe, so maybe it will hold a clue. i will post if there is any.i cant beleive i found the same year as my canoe,like it was ment to be.

ok so i got my paperwork from 1965, and i guess they did make mahogany seats. the pleasure model moonlight came in special white paint with red designs and mahogany seats and mahogany trim. i dont know if it was for 1 year or not.

So, did the owner worked at Keewaydin or not? If so can you PM his name. As an archivist for Keewaydin I like to know these things.

Wannigan ribs were the brain child of Keewaydin but they were installed by Chestnut at the factory during building. They were not installed at or by Keewaydin. Wannigan ribs are installed after the hull is built. They are clinch nailed from the outside so you really can’t install them once the canvas is on.

Keewaydin was Chestnut’s largest retail purchaser of canoes. They had a standing order every year from the 20’s right up until Chestnut closed. There was a good relationship there.

The term carrying thwart is not used at Keewaydin. They are referred to as carry handles – the little thwarts near the decks. The early canoes didn’t have them but later models (post 50’s or even 60’s) came to the camp with them installed by the factory.

Can you post a picture of the tumpline thwart, or the carrying bar as we call them at Keewaydin.

Thanks,
Dylan
I currently have a Chestnut Cruiser 17' that came from Keewaydin. It has a K and the number 37 on it. I got it form someone who either worked at or attended the camp. There are no markings on the canoe that say who made it, but I found someone who was able to identify it. Then I looked up the model and this blog popped up. I would love to know more about it.

That's a nice set up. All you need now is a set of fire irons and a reflector oven!

The carrying bar is classic Keewaydin style even though one side looks to be broken.

The tumpline looks correct for the time period too; double leather head band sewn together and iron rivets with a star like pattern. The style of Tumplines changed over the years at Keewaydin (and still continues to do so) but this is a very familiar style.

Thanks for the pictures,
Dylan

There are very few canoes faster than a Chestnut cruiser. If you don't race, that means easy paddling!!!. Of course, there is a trade-off. It ain't a flat bottom scow. Great design for canoeists!!!

Back