can anyone help identify this sailing canoe?

Balintober

006 [800x600].JPG

005 [800x600].JPG

003 [800x600].JPG

007 [800x600].JPG

008 [800x600].JPG

001 [800x600].JPGHi folks,my pal just purchased this canoe at auction, the full auctioneers description is as follows"a 1905 canoe" it didn't even mention it came with a sail.
So with the pair of us having very little knowledge of canoes,let alone old canoes, so we would be very grateful if anyone can help identify her and other info on restoration etc would be briliant.
All comments are welcome,cheers and all the best from a not so sunny Aberdeen Scotland.

Likely a Perterborough Basswood. A lot were exported and sail rigs were often standard. Still a few around but getting rare.
John

Hopefully Dick or someone more knowledgeable than me will see this and chime in but it doesn't look like any production board and batten boat I've seen and it makes me wonder if it's a home build (how-to books like W. P. Stephens's were popular back in the late 1800's...dunno if many brave souls built them tho) or a factory one-off or prototype.
The battens look beefy and, frankly, not that straight and the ribs in one of the pics (#4 maybe) are very noticeably unevenly spaced as they rise to the sheer. The exterior stem also terminates quickly and awkwardly. I don't know, everything just looks a bit funny to me.
That being said it looks like a nice, interesting and curious boat. Maybe post some dimensions and check the usual places (stems, deck combings, decks) for serial #'s or decal shadows.
Anyone else wanna take a guess?

Back