ash ribs rebound

Bravo ! very nice altogether, I quite like the ash colour and grain. And it is a beautiful design of Mr. Thurlow’s.

I realise I didn’t answer your question regarding applying shellac over the blue paint. This paint appears to be alkyde based : it is among the stronger paints you can use on filler, both against abrasion and fading. There is no technical need to varnish this paint, but yes, you could varnish it would you add some extra shine … Shellac would be useless here, but the Tonkinois should be OK, although I would prefer Epifanes for better chemical compatibility. Tonkinois recipe was altered when this French brand was acquired by a foreign company about ten years ago, and this new recipe hasn’t been published since then. The former Tonkinois recipe was very traditional : basically a late nineteenth century recipe.

Some people know much better than I do here, but I understand that before WWII some canoe builders indeed applied varnish over paint. This is the best practice for oil based paints, especially for horse carriages or shutters. Jean-Felix Watin described this at the end of the eighteenth century. From the 1920’s on, the extra performance of synthetic paints allowed the withdrawal of the protective varnish.

Wish you a good paddling !
Etienne

Thanks Étienne and for your tips about paint.
I originally wanted to use a oil paint instead this synthetic paint but I didn't found it. I will let this without varnish so.
The tonkinois is sometimes weird, but it's a good varnish. But very very expensive.

Thanks again and have a good day !

Back