Anybody up for a build thread?

Douglas Ingram

Red River Canoe & Paddle
I'm building a 13' solo canoe and was wondering if there was interest in my posting the build photos and telling the story.

As I do this professionally, I don't want my posting the build to be confused with shameless self promotion. Thus why I am checking the interest. If there is enough interest I'll go ahead. Maybe just the one vote will do it for me! Thanks Kathryn.

This is a 13' Esprit model Freestyle canoe built wood & canvas. It is looking pretty as is, I just got the decks fitted today and all the fiddly bits that have to be done prior to the last of the planking.

If the build thread is as well put together and interesting to read as your blog, count me in.

If the build thread is as well put together and interesting to read as your blog, count me in.

Thanks for reading the blog, and thanks for the kind words!

Anything that I put in a build thread here will pretty much be lifted right off of what I write for the blog. Why do the same work twice?

Douglas, where'd you get the idea that "shameless self promotion" is unacceptable??

Bring on the thread. I'm in.

Douglas, where'd you get the idea that "shameless self promotion" is unacceptable??

Bring on the thread. I'm in.

"Shameless self promotion" is fine if it is transparent, but I really dislike it when it is pretending to be something else. I see this forum as a place for community building and open sharing of information. I'd like to keep it that way. So, if I am putting together a build thread I want it clear that that is the spirit in which I am doing it.

Thanks to everybody that would like me to put a build thread together! Not one fence sitter or naysayer.

OK, the show's on. I'll start a fresh thread on the build. But please be patient with me! In order to make it interesting will take a bit of work and time. I'll also try and present it in a "real time" fashion, even though I a about two weeks ahead of what I can post.

This build and this thread is of particular interest in that it is for a solo canoe that has quite specific requirements. I will try and focus on those aspects and not just the familiar construction sequences. Everyone please feel free to comment or to ask questions.

Back