1912 Old Town

Ben1912OldTown

I have an 1912 Old Town that needs the enamel redone. The canvas is tight and clean, there are a few chips and some cracks and it has not been in the water in a long time. All visible canvas is clean and in good shape. My plan was to sand down the enamel a bit and put a few more coats of enamel on. Any advice in refinishing the canoe would be greatly appreciated.

attached are some pictures I hope they help get me going in the right direction

Attachments

• IMG_4499.JPG
    IMG_4499.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4500.JPG
    IMG_4500.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4502.JPG
    IMG_4502.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4503.JPG
    IMG_4503.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 103
Ben,
Your thinking is correct. Sand the hull and give it a couple coats of paint. That should keep it going a couple more years. However based on the checking and cracks visible a new canvas project is in your future especially if the larger white areas that are showing have filler that has gone chalky which means that it is old and worn out. It is now patch and paddle season. In the winter you can replace the canvas. Have fun.
Jim

Thank you, I'm not sure when the last time it was re canvased but I'm sure learning how to do that is in my future. It has been in my family for around 90 years. Either way it will be a good project. I'm sure I will have more question as I do more work on this canoe. It is a great canoe so want it to be used again as there are now new generations of the family to enjoy it.

Back