I just purchase an American Trader's Atkinson Traveler wood canvas canoe from Craigslist. The boat seems to have been in storage for many years and was maybe only paddled two to three times. Overall it is in amazing shape. However, there are quite a few linear cracks in the enamel paint on the hull, a few chips from possible drops, and one spot on the bow that seems to be from an impact. I wonder if much of this is normal wear if these cracks came from someone dropping the canoe or something falling on it while in storage or from deep freeze cycles. All of the woodwork is in great condition and shows no signs of damage or splitting. Pictures attached for reference.
- What would be the best thing to do to repair these cracks?
- Can I paddle it as it is?
- Is the damage significant enough to be of concern?
- Is the red color, where the paint is chipped, the filler or a primer?
- Does it just need to be sanded and repainted?
- Does this warrant re-canvasing the canoe?