1910-1920 OT 18' Ideal? Deck

Fritz Koenig

get out and put in
I am restoring my Grandfathers canoe and need to replace the decks. The decks do not look to be original and I don't want to copy them. I am hoping that somebody with a similar canoe be able to provide some measurements and a picture?

Thanks

Thanks.

Did OT use this design that early? The picture on page 18 of the 1910 OT catalogue looks a little simpler. My decks have a more simpler curve like that in the catalogue (if I am seeing the catalogue picture correctly, it is hard to see). The decks on the canoe are 13.5 inches long, carved, not symetrical and one has a knot in it.

Ideal

Fritz:

I have a 1914 Ideal. It is a 16 footer, but the decks are probably the same. I'll shoot some photos, but it may take a day or so. I'll have to pull the canoe off the rack and out in the daylight.

Cheers,

Fitz

Attachments

• Ideal2.jpg
    Ideal2.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 381
Fritz Koenig said:
Did OT use this design that early?

Yes, the Old Town deck design was relatively consistent from the earliest known ones until the 1950s. Decks were hand cut so there would be some variations. Most Ideals were AA grade so a noticeable knot in a deck from the factory would be very unusual.

Benson

OT Ideal Decks

Sorry for the delay Fritz. Here are some photos and the dimensions from a 1914 OT Ideal Deck. This is a 16 ft canoe.

The width of the deck is 6-1/8 inches.

The length of the deck is 16-1/2 inches.

The deck is 3/4's of an inch thick, and there is a cutout for at the hand hold.

Let me know if you need any other dimensions.

Fitz.

Attachments

• OTDeck1.jpg
    OTDeck1.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Deck2.jpg
    Deck2.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 350
  • Deck3.jpg
    Deck3.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 340
  • CutOut.jpg