What is it? Heart O' Lakes canoe?

Steve K.

Hi all!

First off....thanks for a most excellent website. I have been studiously reading the threads regarding restoration.

Secondly....I finally scratched my itch and purchased an old boat/canoe with hopes of a renovation. I'm sure I'll have many questions...but the first and most obvious is, "what is it?" The partial decal reads, "Heart O' Lakes". The old faded registration number seems to be from the state of Illinois. The craft is 14 feet long and approximately 40 inches wide. The hull has been glassed....not sure if this is original or was once sheathed in canvas.....although the glass job was very well done. This lead me to believe it was a glass boat from the start.

So.....any help would be appreciated as to what this is and where it came from. :)

Regards,

Steve

152857892.jpg

152857890.jpg

152857893.jpg

152857894.jpg

It was made by the Shell Lake Boat Company. Attached is an image that shows the full decal.

Your boat is probably the Snipe model, and would have been canvased originally. Looks like a good project!

Dan

Attachments

• shell lake decal.jpg
    shell lake decal.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 336
I received an email response from the Washburn County (Wisconsin) Historical Society. They have a ledger from the Shell Lake Boat Company. It seems my boat was sold to Auto Electric Service for $126 on November 19, 1947.

large.jpg

Back