What brand of wood hardner and filler

Michaux Hiker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Can't seen to find Minwax wood hardener. Lowes has Elmers rotted wood stabilizer and epoxy wood repair. Is Elmers good? Wondering what is the best product to use. Have rib tips to repair and screw and nail holes in the stern and bow ribs before attaching new stems. Thanks!

Michaux, Minwax wood hardener is on Amazon for $10.32. I am starting my first restoration, do you use this to fill smaller holes and cracks? I am scarfing in new wood for my larger rot issues and replacing rib tips, but some old screw holes in my decks and nail holes in rib tips could use some attention as well.

Mostly will use it for nail holes, and a few rib tips. Have to splice 60-70 (or more) rib tips. Canoe was laying upside down on the ground for years so most rib tips are rotted along with both rails and decks. Thwarts are missing, but already made one thwart and both carrying handles. Ran out of wood, back to the lumber yard tomorrow. Mike

If your just hardening up soft or rotted wood , use a penetrating epoxy , git rot, I think Jamestown dist. now makes a cold weather one. Or warm up your epoxy till it's thin. filling nail holes or fairing, any good two part fairing compound. Jamestown's total fair works nice. Minwax makes one with a hardener you can get in the big box stores, it really sticks well and sands easy.

Back