Rib Tip Repair - Tek-Rot

Ryan Scott

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Rib Tip Repair - Git-Rot

I am working on replacing some rib tops, scarfing in new tips on those in need. I plan on using some Git-Rot for those that are in decent shape. I am wondering if anyone has used this product mixed with 'wood flower'. I have done this with west system epoxy but understand Git-Rot is more screw/tack friendly. There are some larger holes I'd like to fill instead of R/R the stem tip.
Thoughts..experiences....

Last edited:
Since nobody has responded, I'll give it a try. I have not used Git-Rot to do exactly what you ask about, but I have used it, and have not been impressed with the result. The semi-rotten wood just wasn't very strong. What has worked better for me is to thin West Systems epoxy by about 15% with acetone to decrease its viscosity, put that onto punky wood, let it sink in and then undiluted epoxy on top. I would not mix wood flour into the thinned epoxy, but routinely mix it in undiluted epoxy and add that after the surface is already 'wet' with epoxy. I drill with a 1/16" bit for tacks, ring nails,etc. TomMcCloud

Dave is right. Scarf new rib tips. If the rib is still able to be fastened to the inwale, new tips can be glued in place after the outwales are installed. Epoxied tips really stand out .

The Git Rot is very good at soaking deep into the areas effected by the rot. I believe it is more effective than the thinned out epoxy. It takes much longer for the Git rot to cure and harden than the epoxy, hence the Git Rot is able to soak much deeper into the rot. It takes repeated applications of the Git rot while it is still wet because it only soaks in only so fast and it takes the repeated applications to get more of the stuff deep into the rot. The Git rot should not be thickened. The Git Rot does not seriously change the color of the wood except for darkening it a bit.
Thicken epoxy can be used to fill gaps but it can not be applied until the Git Rot has completely harden and cured which can three or four days, otherwise the epoxy will not bond with the uncured Git Rot. The thickened epoxy color can be hard to hide.
Nails and screws can be used on the areas with Git Rot and epoxy but its important to predrill with the right size dill to prevent the fastening from spiting the area of harden wood or glue.

Attachments

• New rib top  vs. epoxyed rib top.jpg
    New rib top vs. epoxyed rib top.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 272
Back