W&C canoe plans

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Anbody know of any plans available for something 13-14 ft long,28-30 inches wide, minimal rocker? Must be wood and canvas, I have no interest in strippers.

Check Doug Ingram's Red Fox canoe, based on the 14 ft. Chestnut Fox....see http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/search/label/Red Fox canoe. Contact Doug at rrcp@mts.net or by phone 204.878.2524 to see if plans are available.

Also check out Doug's post on building a 13 ft solo canoe, http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?5797-Build-thread-13-Esprit-solo-canoe.

Alex Comb from Stewart River Boatworks (http://www.stewartriver.com/canoes/index.html) has Solitude, 13' Solo Canoe:

This is the big "little" boat that could. I designed this with women paddlers in mind, though hoped it would also handle a larger person or some gear. It carries it's fullness out in the ends, giving it additional load carrying capacity and also providing a dry boat in bigger water. Because it has only a modest amount of rocker this canoe tracks very well, and yet, because of the shape and fullness in the ends it will turn easily, especially when leaned.

This canoe actually has more carrying capacity than the Unity and could be used for short camping trips where a small, intimate boat is desireable. It also is a wonderful day tripping boat that will handle lakes and rivers equally well. It can be easily paddled by a 100 lb. person and is not over-loaded with a 200 pounder. Total load capacity is in the 350 lb. range.

Tumblehome, 3/4" of rocker, shallow arched hull.

Length: 13' Weight: 40 lbs.
Width at gunwale: 26 3/4" Depth at midships: 12.5"
Width at beam: 29 1/2" Height at ends: 18 1/2"
Width at 4" WL 27 3/4"

Or Unity, 14'10" Solo Canoe (maybe a bit long at 14'10"):

A wood and canvas solo canoe with many merits: easy to handle, steady, responsive, yet it tracks well. Not a speed daemon, this boat will glide through the water efficiently.

For me (180 lbs), this is the perfect boat on a short wilderness trip or for a day paddle, poking up a stream or gliding back down it. This boat will "dance" around the rocks and slide into the eddy behind them with the minimum amount of effort. I love the way this canoe handles on streams!

I have taken this boat on many camping trips. On longer trips, the Traveler has more reserve and is a bit swifter under paddle. Maximum carrying capacity is about 340 lbs.

Seat can be mounted fixed or sliding, using brass fittings on hardwood rail. The sliding seat can be set either flat or canted.

Moderate tumblehome, 7/8" of rocker with a shallow arched hull.

Length: 14'10" Weight: 40 lbs.
Width at gunwale: 27" Depth at midships: 12"
Width at beam: 29 3/4" Height at ends: 17"
Width at 4" WL 28"

Plans are available for these Stewart River designs by Alex Comb.

Last edited:
Well, lets see, I have Chestnut Playmate, at 14 ft it weighs darn near as much as My Old Town 16 ft Yankee, 63 lbs vs 67 lbs. So I could take the lines of it and make one much lighter.

That is true, I really do not need 3/8 thick ribs with heavy planks, #10 canvas with heavy lead oxide filler or 2 seats. I do have a copy of Alec Combs Unity plans but at 14'10" that is very close to another canoe I have at 15'. The one I have is well rockered and doesn't like shallow water. Also it is a good 56 lbs set up solo and I want something 40lbs or less for ease of portaging on my loggy W Michigan rivers. I am even thinking #12 canvas. I have a cousin that does skin on frame Kayaks in Dacron but I am not so sure I want to go that route. Need to talk to Pearson. He has a White copy that is 17' and done in Dacron I think.

I built a from to Douglas Ingram's 14' Chestnut plans. Without too much effort at saving weight, it easily comes in at 42 pounds with cherry decks, thwart and outwales, and number 12 canvas. It is a great canoe, though I prefer the 15' version for my own paddling style.

Dan

I really understand your prefernce for 15' but I think I can get away with 14'. I would use the Playmate more but hauling that 60+lbs around and thru downed trees has gotten really old. Plus I think I can get 14' up the basement stairs. Need to check that out as that would save me a lot on the heating bill this winter. There is no space in the shop anyway with all the machines in it.

Back