Two Cures For Cracked Ribs

Always nice to have a somewhat lubricated whistle while doing canoe work gets a person over the "Oh Wells"
What maker and model of canoe are you working on?

Got me!

The stems had already been replaced, and no other markings were visible, except the name "Rene" in pencil on one of the planks.

Tip to tip on the stems is ~13 feet, the downward curve at the bow and stern add another ~2.5 inches so it'd be a 13- or 13.5- foot no-seater.

The inside to inside original inwhale width is ~30.5 inches and if the outer ones are similar the width would be ~35 inches. Bottom to top of the gunwhales amidship is ~13 inches.

Your guess is as good as mine. I'll be putting up more pictures when I get a chance this weekend probably.

From what I can see of the planking and nailing pattern I would hazard a guess of a Huron model built in Quebec
Did it have a heart shaped arrowhead decks and a thin lathe of wood over the outwale that also covered the outside edge of the deck?
Dan

dboles said:
From what I can see of the planking and nailing pattern I would hazard a guess of a Huron model built in Quebec

Quebec is correct; I think my brother said it was from someone who said his grandfather had bought it in either 1950, or "the '50's"...

dboles said:
Did it have a heart shaped arrowhead decks and a thin lathe of wood over the outwale that also covered the outside edge of the deck?
Dan

Again, no info available...neither outwales nor the decks were on the thing when I got it...I just finished my first filler job this weekend past. It went pretty good. Three coats Saturday, and since it's comparitively shorter than the 16-footers which are supposed to take a gallon, I applied a four coating Sunday betwen the Monaco F1 Grand Prix and the Indy 500.

Back