Thames UK paddler

cwf

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I've been canoeing occasionally for years, mostly in the UK but also in the Grant river, Wisconsin and in Venice (Italy). I'm slowly fixing a hole in my 14' 7" Strickland and I also have a 2-man Tyne folding canoe. Hopefully the hole will be repaired before my grandchildren have grown up. Charlie.

Welcome aboard! (I know I already said that)
That Tyne must be interesting. I have a Folbot Yukon with an aluminum and plastic frame, I previously had a similar Folot Aleut. I also had a rigid Folbot Super with plywood frames and ash stringers.

Hello John,
The Tyne is very practical, it dismantles into two backpacks. I've assembled at Hammersmith, canoed down to Blackfriars, disassembled and taken the tube back, made me respect the power of the tide a bit more, when you see it up against the bridges at eye height, not to mention the ferryboats charging about. It felt a bit like running across the motorway.
I did it with a friend who has two Tynes, one bought by his father, hence the photos, who used it when out in Canada as a forester, with his wife and 2 year-old son (mid-1950's), and one built as a replica. He thinks the Klepper is superior but expensive.

DSCF0742.JPG
DSCF0743.JPG

The Folbot Yukon looks similar but more modern. We tried sailing the Tyne at Kingsbridge but couldn't get it to go upwind, using original 50's sailing gear. My friend is just building a new mast, sail and leeboards for another go. Do you know what sail materials are available?

I use a mix of rig parts. I'm the third owner of my lapstrake canoe, it came equipped with a BSD (Balogh Sail Designs) Classic Canoe 36 sq ft rig. I've used that mast and in my Folbot Yukon and Super. The whole set up works in my cedar and lapstrake canoes. I've also bought parts of rigs from a vintage Old Town, Pionier folding kayak, Oughtred MacGregor canoe and a Folbot Super. I'm always watching Ebay, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for rigs from dead boats. I have a few cotton sails, but half of those have lost their shape, another is so rotten you can tear it with your fingers. There are also rigs that can be purchased complete and ready to go, but they're not cheap. I mentioned BSD, SailboatsToGo is another source. If you're willing to make your own sails, Sailrite can provide a kit. Good luck ,keep us posted.

Courtesy of my friend, I also have photos of a mid-60's Pionier catalogue, in German. Would you be interested?

Attachments

• DSCF0744.JPG
    DSCF0744.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 50
That's very cool. I would be interested in seeing the old catalogue pictures. I can message you my email if you prefer to send them, but I think other members would like to see them posted. I haven't used the Pionier rig, as it's main has lost it's shape. It has beautiful spars and fittings.

Actually mid-50's, I think. There are 7 scans, I'll try all at once.

Attachments

• DSCF0745.JPG
    DSCF0745.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0746.JPG
    DSCF0746.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0748.JPG
    DSCF0748.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0747.JPG
    DSCF0747.JPG