Stem joint to deck and inwales

Worth Gretter

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I searched the forums for posts about attaching a thin stem to narrow deck and inwales. I knew this joint would be weak and was looking for a way to reinforce it.
I found this post from 2013:
I wanted to do something similar, so here is what I came up with.

The first photo shows one deck and bracket from the top, and the other set from the side. The decks are thinner than the inwales, hence the shim on the bottom tip of the deck.
2023-10-02 11.00.35.jpg

The bracket is wider than the deck so it will also bridge under the inwales. A single long screw goes into the stem.
2023-10-02 11.01.25.jpg

Here it is installed. The thin part of the bracket extends back to where the deck is wide enough to hold a couple of screws.
You can also see in the photo:
On the right of the pic, the deck is about 1/8" thinner than the inwales.
I made laminated stems after failing at steam bending them as a single piece.
That green stuff on the planking is the last of the fiberglass and resin, still needing to be removed.
I have heeded the advice on this forum to varnish everything that will be hidden later, especially in the ends.
2023-10-02 15.31.52.jpg

Todd, I ordered the screws from Fair Wind Fasteners. They are silicon bronze, #8, in lengths from 1 to 2 inches. I know square drive is not traditional, but I have a lot of screws to drive into the oak gunwales and didn't want the driver to slip.
The little brass round-head 1/2 inch screw at the end of the inwales is just something I had on hand. There is another one on the other side, coming through from the other direction, just to hold the inwale tips together. They will be hidden under the outward.
Hope this helps.
-Worth

Square drive is used on some boats although they are not all that common.
I've never seen a real need for them. I nearly always pre-drill and I also always rub the screw threads a bit of soap to lubricate them before I install them. I keep an old bar of soap in my toolbox for that specific purpose. I also countersink the heads.
I do try to match the driver bity and the screw slot size to keep them from getting buggered up and also to make sure they don't get stripped out. It's force of habit from gunsmithing and machine building.

I finally wrote up what I did for making stems, in case anyone might find it useful in the future. By rights, this should have been posted before the stem bracket discussion above, so it is out of order. The stems were made and installed before the brackets, obviously.

After the rib ends were all fixed, replacement stems were next. This was considerably harder than the rib ends and I learned quite a few lessons along the way. Some were educational and some were just painful!

Straight grain wood helps a lot.

My pieces of oak had grain runout to the sides, so they split when I tried to clamp them to the form. I glued both and tried again with a sheet metal backing strip but still no luck. I had to start over.

Steam bending stems is much harder than gunwales.

I steam bent my gunwales using the plastic tubing method, and it was pretty easy. But the stem bends are much more severe than the gunwales. The tightest bend on my stems has a radius of perhaps a foot, and the gunwale radius must be ten times that.

Don’t shape the stems before steaming them.

All my work on shaping the first set of stems was wasted when they broke. The second time, I made the stems in three layers, then steam bent them and epoxy laminated them, all before shaping them. To further help keep their shape on the form, I didn’t use three separate laminations, but instead took a piece of oak of the correct size and slit it twice for most of the length. I left uncut the inboard portion which sits flat on the ribs.

Use a fine tooth band saw blade.

I was lazy and used the coarse blade that was already on my little band saw. It left a bit of a jagged mess in each slit. But there was a plus side to this later.

Determining the shape to make the form, and being confident in it, is not easy.

I slid a piece of cardboard into the open end of the hull, clamped it in place, and marked the ribs and planking. After removing it and cutting it to the marks, I tested the fit and trimmed it until I felt sure, then did the same at the other end. But this is where it got complicated: I wanted to use the same form for both stems, so I had to trace both cardboard templates onto a fresh piece of cardboard, then cut a compromise shape that would fit both. That is what I used to make the form.

Rework is inevitable sometimes.

I steamed and bent the two stem blanks with their slits, using the plastic bag method on the form. When I took them off the form, they had too much springback at the tips, so I had to steam the ends a second time. This time they had only a little springback, and I figured the epoxy would hold against that, and it did.

Epoxy sticks to plastic wrap.

I had read that people use packing tape to keep epoxy from sticking to their forms. I tried plastic wrap because I needed the two stems not to stick to each other, as well as not sticking to the form. The epoxy stuck pretty well to the wrap unfortunately. But I got it scraped off and had a look at the joint. As I hoped, the coarseness of the band saw cut prevented epoxy squeeze-out when I clamped it on the form. I was counting on this, because otherwise I would have needed to thicken the epoxy with milled glass fiber and/or fumed silica. (Of course, there are epoxy formulations nowadays that have that stuff in them already, but I was using what I had on hand.)

The best tool for removing dried epoxy (and plastic wrap scraps) is a cabinet scraper.

I got all four sides of each stem cleaned up pretty well, paying the most attention to the inside of the curve since it is the only surface that will really be visible later.

Shaping the stems with a hand held power planer is an alternative to a band saw.

I just got Jerry Stelmok’s book “Building the Maine Guide Canoe”, in which he describes the band saw method. But I used the planer, even though it took longer, because that worked OK on my first set of stems – the ones that split when steamed and bent. I didn’t have confidence that I would get the taper right on the band saw, whereas the planer method took off a little bit at a time so I could check the dimensions periodically.

Careful measurements pay off.

On the old stems, I measured the thickness of the inboard edge every 6 inches, using dial calipers. The old stems were in tough shape so the measurements were erratic. Therefore I averaged the values from the two stems, and “smoothed” the average values. The stems started out straight on the ribs at 0.82” wide, began to taper at the 6 inch point, and then tapered over the next 42 inches to reach 0.40” at the deck. It worked out to 0.06” every 6 inches, which was easy to work with. (So the taper is 0.01” every inch, an amazing coincidence!)

Shortcuts can come back to bite you.

On this canoe the first three ribs are in two halves (then ribs 4 and 5 are each one piece bent around the stem). Those first three ribs were a bit ragged at the bottom due to iron fasteners used originally. I had previously fixed things like this with a mix of glue and sawdust and that worked well, but I didn’t do it here because there seemed to be enough good wood to nail into. But when I actually drilled for the ring nails, I was very limited because I could only nail into the upper side of the stem (bottom too thin) and I had to consider nails coming in from the other side of the stem from the other rib bottom. If I had patched the rib bottoms I would have had more freedom on where to nail.

Cutting the stems and inwales to length is scary – there is no re-do!

I thought I had a clear concept of the stem and inwale joint (and how the outwales would fit later), but I should have made a mockup, even if just in cardboard. I planned to re-use the existing decks, and they came to a point, so that meant the stems had to end under the deck at each end. But in actuality, the stems ended under the inwales, since the top plank came up over the inwales but also was nailed to the stem.

Lots of good ideas on the WCHA forums!

For my canoe, the stem was narrow, the deck was narrow, and the inwales were tapered, so none of these offered a strong attachment to the others. Others on the forums have dealt with this by building a bracket to join the stem to the inwales and deck, and that is what I did.

Attaching the inwales to the last few ribs at the ends, before installing the stem, was a mistake.

When I nailed each inwale to the ribs, I had the whole boat perfectly level and I used a second level to make sure the inwales were level from side to side, in addition to being the right height off the bottom of the canoe. But I should have left the last couple unattached until I had the new stem in place. That’s because I messed up my careful alignment when I pulled the bottoms of the ribs into place and nailed them to the stem. So when I went to install the decks, the inwales weren’t quite level and it was a real struggle to get them lined up with the decks.

Pre-varnishing the inwales is a good idea, but…

I had steam bent the inwales around the outside of the canoe before removing the old inwales, then varnished them. This worked well for protecting the inwales from any stain touchup on the interior. But it also meant I couldn’t steam the inwale ends again to get them to cooperate, unless I wanted to strip the varnish, which I didn’t. So I had to just brute force the inwale ends into position and screw them to the decks. It got done, but it was harder than it had to be.

Finally…

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their good ideas on these forums, even if it was years ago. I found so much good info!

Attachments

• 2023-09-11 16.18.57.jpg
    2023-09-11 16.18.57.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2023-09-13 10.58.08.jpg
    2023-09-13 10.58.08.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 28
  • 2023-09-17 10.08.20.jpg
    2023-09-17 10.08.20.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2023-09-22 15.46.34.jpg
    2023-09-22 15.46.34.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2023-09-26 09.23.39.jpg
    2023-09-26 09.23.39.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2023-09-30 15.51.11.jpg
    2023-09-30 15.51.11.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 30
Due to ongoing efforts to wind up Mike and stoke international tensions between our countries, i submit this.
Next topics will include the metric system, and the war of 1812 in no particular order.
(laughing emoji so as not to invoke further hostilities)

They are making random Robertson checks on the Peace Bridge. Be warned!

Nice write-up. A couple comments based upon my own experiences.
I've bent stems (inside and outside) pre-shaped and also un-shaped. I have not found a particular advantage to either approach although pre-shaping allowed me to avoid having to deal with trying to hold a big, curved piece in my small band saw. A shaped piece is skinnied up and does not take much effort to shape.
I note that you used the baggy method for your stems. I have never tried that. I always pre-soak the stems for a few days before "cooking" them in my steamer. These are not ribs so getting them properly steamed before bending them is important. So is being 100% ready with your form, backer strip and clamps when you get ready to bend them. If you don't get on with it quickly, you may end up breaking them. This is one time when an extra set of hands can be really handy.
WRT the shape of the form. You have some choices to make about this. If the form is one you will use for other stems or to build from scratch, you might not want to tweak it to deal with the variation that is often seen bow to stern. If the form is one you made for a one and done, I would not be shy about doing one stem, letting it dry and then making changes to the form before doing the next one. I made a significant change to my torpedo stem form when I did the second stem simply because that was the way the boat was made. If I had tried to alter the shape of the stem, it would have affected all of the adjoining bits including the long single piece decks. To the casual eye, it is undetectable. I will never use that form again so no harm, no foul. For most hulls, splitting the difference is probably fine.

You are so right about making those cuts... After the hours spent getting to the point of joinery, committing to the saw is daunting.
I have never seen the need to alter that joinery from the way it was originally done during the original construction of the canoe so for me, a single nail or screw is generally all that will hold things once the decks are screwed in and the ribs and planking are in place. Except for the affect of rot, I have never seen a failure of that simple joinery at the confluence of the deck and stem tip. Not even on canoes 115 plus years and older. I try to assemble the pieces the way that they were done however long ago the boat was built. Having said that, each builder had a slightly different technique and with builders they changed the practice over time. What we do during reconstruction is not going to be seen again until (pick a number) someone else works on the next restoration.

The best part of the project is coming soon. Getting the boat in the water is always such a rewarding experience, especially if it doesn't leak.

Last edited:
Thanks, Todd. I keep thinking about all the good info I have got from this site, some of it years old. So maybe down the road some new guy will find my writeup useful. Can only hope!

Back