Steam bending inwales- grain orientation

patrick corry

solo canoeist
I'm about to steam bend new Ash inwale stock for a Chestnut I'm restoring. I plan to steam and temporarily clamp them to & under the existing inwales (with excess material poking through the currently open stems) until they have assumed their appropriate shape.

My question is this; does the grain orientation matter? Both pieces of bending stock have largely vertical grain. Logic suggests that it may bend more successfully if the grain is vertical, so that flat grain is bending in the width of the canoe rather than bending up at the stems. Presumably flat grain will accept greater deflection without problems. There is clearly more curve athwartship (17" from center), than the sweep of the sheer (about 9" maximum curve).

Final dimensions will be 1" tall, 9/16" at top, 11/16" at bottom (8 degree bevel on the face against the ribs).

Am I (as usual) overthinking this?

On a Chestnut it probably won’t matter much because the rise in the sheer is gradual.
Right or wrong, I like flat sawn or close to it for the more severe bends. Also close grain is your enemy on severe bends. I like wider growth rings for bends.

Flat or vertical does not effect the bending a whole lot as long as the grain runs lest 12" per foot. What may give you more problems is that the rail is deeper than it is wide. If there is much of a bend, the rail will want to twist and turn over. this may not be a problem because as Dave said, the sheer on most Chestnuts is very gradual but you may need some extra clamps to help prevent the twisting.

Soak it for few days, at least the last few feet of each end. take your steam to 200deg for 15 or 20min you will be fine, will bend with no complaints.

Reactions: MGC
Back