First attempt at splitting/ cutting/ and steam bending an ash stem

John Maderic

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Needing a couple short pieces of bent ash to scarf into the stems on my Kennebec was holding up getting the canvas on and filled. Researching bending, I found where old school canoe parts, snowshoes and bows were made using wood split from the log. I visited a man in Speculator, NY; but he is no longer making snowshoes or pack baskets. My intention had been to try to buy a few split pieces for a few stems. Having to cut firewood from my land anyway, I decided to try. The first couple of ash trees when the trunk log was split were knotty, curved or spiraled grain.
The fourth tree yielded a couple decent looking split quarters from the bottom 5' section. The splitting itself improved with more effort to keep the spit following the grain. Then, adding a 12' foot 2 by 6 to the guard of my table saw; and holding the split piece to a 6' level, I started making some cuts and was able to get one straight side running with the grain. I used both the grain and the growth rings as a guide and achieved a straight edge after several pass's on the saw. It was kind of a lot of work to get the pieces; one (1" by 2 1/2") and one ( 1" by 1 1/4"), both 5' long, but I found it very self gratifying producing almost perfect 'with the grain' product to then try and steam bend.
For my steam generator I purchased a outdoor (wing?)fryer. similar to but not a turkey fryer. This one was $40 from Walmart and comes with a 3 gallon pan, welded stand with HD cast iron burn head, thermometer, etc. A simple board top with 1 1/2" PVC pipe running a couple feet and into the bottom of a 6' section of 5" PVC. After putting one piece of ash in using just a couple flat rocks to center it in the steam tube, I used a couple 4" PVC couplings wrapped with rags to stuff into the ends. It was a little leaky, but the fryer really put the heat to the water and it was over 200 degrees in 5 minutes starting with warm water. I started with the bigger of my two pieces and gave it an hour.
I'll admit having to abort my first try and sticking the board back in the steamer. Mainly I added a small bench to have the pegs wedges, etc, right at my fingertips as I tried bending. Also, a heavier strap may be better for future use but I didn't get any splitting as it bent. It was all very self gratifying, and if your steam bending parts in the future for the first time; look forward to .....you may be surprised at your results!

Attachments

• DSCF5072.jpg
    DSCF5072.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF5080.jpg
    DSCF5080.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 276
  • DSCF5076.jpg
    DSCF5076.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF5075.jpg
    DSCF5075.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF5074.jpg
    DSCF5074.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCF5071.jpg
    DSCF5071.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
And more pictures

I hope to continue learning about the splitting process. Does anyone have the knowledge of how the 'green' ash I have locally growing compares to the 'white' ash? I'd like to thank those that put videos on youtube also. I've come across several very nice videos made by members. Its nice to put a face and voice to some of the people that are 'names' here!

Attachments

• DSCF5082.jpg
    DSCF5082.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF5087.jpg
    DSCF5087.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCF5088.jpg
    DSCF5088.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCF5090.jpg
    DSCF5090.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 268
The few videos etc. I was able to find in my search for knowledge were most pointed towards splitting the wood to see the grain and lay of the wood and then continuing with hand tools; draw shaves and the such. I'm slowly gaining on tools that are handy; but were never needed in the average day of even finished carpentry. From shaping an outside stem to removing the extra wood from a board to release the thwart that's been there all along..I have no choice but to get a few more hand tools........I can see the possibility of trying a little in the paddle making realm also. I can see the paddle thing could get out of hand though. At least canoes...so far...somewhat do limit themselves. Just the size and length keeps them out of certain parts of the house. The doorways and turns, small windows. Makes me wonder what these people were thinking when they designed a house anyways???

I think you've been bitten by the bug. Paddle-making in an extension of the symptoms. There is no real cure... the only treatment is another canoe...

Welcome to the monkey house! :)

Back