Space

ehlenrg

This is going to be really basic. I picked up a wood canvas canoe about 35 years ago that was recovered in fiberglass. It’s been hanging in my garage waiting for me to restore it. Almost all the fiberglass is gone. I keep thinking that I’d do it in the summer but I always seem to be to busy so I’m thinking of making it a winter project. I live in Wisconsin so I’d need something with a ,title heat.

I might tackle it in half of my two car garage but I’m thinking maybe I should rent some space. My question is how much space do I need? Obviously I’d save any chemical stripping work for the outdoors.

Funny thing. I just started reading “This Old Canoe” by Mike Elliott that my daughter got me for Christmas last year. I found my answer on page 5. I’ll do more reading/research before I ask another question.

Before I built my shop, I restored several in our two-car garage. Doesn't require much width, but must be long enough to rig a canvas stretching rig if you plan to canvas in there.

One car garage will allow you to refinish and do repairs. You can stretch canvas outside between trees or cars, then bring it back in for fill and paint.

I work in a small cellar. I have room for two canoes, my table saw and a work bench. I carry the canoes in and out through our family room. It's tight but it works.
I canvas in the garage. I hang canoes diagonally corner to corner in a single bay.
When I canvas my 20 footer this spring I'll need to work outside and hang it between a couple trees. It's too big for my garage setup.

Back