Long term storage of a wooden canoe, suggestions?

ken mueller

Canton, Ohio
I would like to hear from anyone with ideas of the best way to store my canoe. It will be in my garage, but due to lack of space, I have to store her tipped up on the gunnels against a wall, rather than hanging or on horses. I am concerned that being in this position might cause some distortion to the hull.

How about hanging it at both ends with rope, on its side and against the wall, so that the center of the lower outwale just barely rests on the floor?

Last edited:
ken mueller said:
I would like to hear from anyone with ideas of the best way to store my canoe. It will be in my garage, but due to lack of space, I have to store her tipped up on the gunnels against a wall, rather than hanging or on horses. I am concerned that being in this position might cause some distortion to the hull.

I kept mine for 6 years in my MIL's garage w/ short loops of cord from each of the thwart/ inwale junctions up over a nail...the tips protruxded into the stud cavity & it was up off the floor...never hurt anything...It was in worse places before her garage...

How about the living room...?

My Old Town is currently sitting in the living room - makes a pretty good coffee table. I wish I was kidding - don't have a garage and the basement is a bit damp. So in the living room it remains...

Oddly enough, I've considered buying a second Ikea coatrack:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40099792

then weighing down the bottom somehow so that I could store the boat up higher and out of the way, resting along the top of the racks, along the wall. The risk of the racks tipping is a bit high though - if the bases were connected with 2x4s and firmly attached - it might be a viable solution, plus you could use the 5 feet of clearance below the boat to store things. Would take a bit of work to get it stable though. And a pretty big risk of the canoe taking a serious tumble and hurting someone (i.e., me).

Last edited:
Long term storage

A friend of mine installed a couple of wall-sconce type shelves in his family room, not far from the ceiling, and his cedar strip rests on them...

If I could get my wife to agree to this, I'd do the same. Instead, I'm paying for long-term storage in a warehouse, for my '46 Otca, until I can start work on it.

I'll take an 800 square foot house with a 6-car garage, please.

Back