sn 045010

Marcel

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have what I think is a Chestnut canoe which was passed on to me by my wifes grandmother but it is missing decals to confirm. It was painted lime green and the paddles that came with it have the chestnut logo. The canoe meaasures approximately 15'9L (1/2 inch past top ends) x 33 beam (outside of ribs) x 15 deep (top of gunales to top of planking inside). It was bought in the 1960's. How do you measure the length of a canoe with a curved bow and stern? It has three thwarts but the third one may have been added after it had some minor damage to one rib. The stem board inside the bow of canoe has 045020 stamped into the wood. The last ) may be a C. Does anyone know what model canoe it might be.

Marcel
Burnaby BC Canada

Last edited:
Hi Marcel,

Is there any way you may be able to post some pictures of the canoe? If not, let us know and we can ask a series of questions to help narrow it down...

Stephan

canoe pics

Canoe 045020.jpg

Canoe stem 045020.jpg

I am not sure exactly how to measure it.
Marcel

Hi Marcel,

At first glance it sure looks like a 60s or early 70s Chestnut Prospector. For the length, measure the furthest points on your canoe (which is usually somewhere halfway down the outside 'curve' of the stem). For the depth, measure from the planking to the top of the gunwales. For the width, measure from the outside of the planking on one side to the outside of the planking on the other side at its widest point.

A few interesting things....

It has 3 thwarts which wasn't standard (your theory about it being added on might be correct).

It seems a little narrow. 36 inches was usually the standard width for a 16' 60s/70s Prospector.

It had a keel. It could have been added later of course. It wasn't standard on prospectors but was a possible add-on from the factory.

Keep in mind, these things were never set in stone and sometimes the canoes weren't exactly accurate. Throw in the fact that you could order canoes with any number of modifications to it (extra thwart, narrower, deeper, adding a keel, etc....) and you have a lot of Chestnuts out there that don't exactly fit the catalogue specs.

Looks like a nice canoe. Seems to be in great shape as well.

Stephan

Marcel,
There are probably as many ways to measure a canoe as there are people with a tape measure. That being said, it was explained to me that measurements should reflect how the water sees the canoe, that is the outside surface of the canoe.
To measure the length, most people stretch a tape measure from stem to stem. Ideally, two people should stretch a tape measure with a plumb bob hanging from the tape at each end so the plumb bob string just kisses the furthest reach of the stem. (the way surveyors measured an irregular surface before electronics) Most people just stretch the tape and eyeball the longest length.
To measure the width, it is supposed to be from outside of canvas to outside of canvas at the widest part of the canoe, generally at the center thwart. That being said, a lot of people measure from the inside of the outer gunwale to the inside of the outer gunwale, sometimes adding something for planking and canvas, sometimes not. A few people just measure from outside gunwale to outside gunwale, but that does not really reflect the hull of the canoe and is just good for figuring whether it will go through the door or not. Ideally, one would have a super large caliper like timber scalers used to use and measure the widest part from canvas to canvas. This would handle questions of tumblehome, etc.
Unfortunately, the measurements in the catalogs are no more consistent or accurate than the ones taken by the average canoeist.
In your case, 15'9" is usually reported at 16 feet. The depth may be the most revealing measurement and may indicate a Chestnut Prospector. In Bill Mason's book, Song of the Paddle, page 145, is a drawing and picture of a Prospector with dimensions taken from actual measurements from Bill's Chestnut Prospector, according to page 144. Keeping in mind the variability that can exist in any manufactured product (especially when Chestnut had at least 3 molds for the Prospector and had a habit of changing dimensions on various models of canoes during the years), comparing your canoe to the drawing in Bill's book may be your best bet.
All that being said, your picture shows a very nice looking canoe that does look a lot like Bill's Prospector, seats and all.
I hope the above is clear. If not, post any questions and I am sure someone will be able to explain it better.
Happy Paddling.

Thank you for your quick and detailed responses. I have two paddles that came with the canoe that do have the chestnut logo on it so I feel fairly confident it is a chestnut after recieving your responses. I have also heard many stories of this canoe transporting materials (concrete,wood,etc) to built a cabin only accessable by boat which demonstrates its capacity. I have four kids under 8 years old and hope to get them into loving canoeing as much as I do. I will post the finished product in the spring after I have the canoe restored and back on the water.

Thanks,
Marcel

Back