Skowhegan Boat and Canoe Company

mason smith

I'm restoring a rowboat which I was told was a Thompson, ordered in 1948 from L L Bean. I have studied the Thompson catalogs on Dan Miller and Benson Gray's CDs. It is not a Thompson. L L Bean archivists have found the boat in the Bean 1956 catalog as Round Bottom Boat. The Bean catalog says that it was made for Bean by the Old Town Canoe Company.
One odd thing is that Old Town catalogs do not seem to be included in the Dragonfly CDs, even though Benson Gray is, I think, of the long-time Old Town owning family.
In searching for this boat among the catalogs, the closest match I found was with rowboats from Skowhegan Boat and Canoe Company. Length and beam specs never matched but construction details were close: wooden seat knees, cove and bead strip planking, wooden oarlock pads on top of gunwales, a vee bottom all the way to transom.
I expected this boat I have to come from the 40s and to derive from the 30s, because it is a transitional boat, a rowboat first and outboard second. It wouldn't be any good with much power. Similar boats in the thirties were for about 4 hp.
Now here's this boat so late, 1956, in Bean, made by Old Town, an anachronism. It's advertised as good for up to 10 hp but I do not believe it should have that much power, because it has too little beam aft. It's still really a displacement boat. I believe 10hp would plane it and it would be dangerously unstable on a plane.
It would be a sweet if heavy rowboat, 185 lbs but with a relatively narrow waterline, low wetted surface, especially good for tandem rowing, great for a pair of kids to get all around the lake without gas.
But here's my question: is it at all possible that Old Town took this boat up from the recently deceased Skowhegan Boat and Canoe Company?
And secondly, does anyone know how one can get the whole history of Old Town catalogs? I would for many reasons love to see the entire sequence, every boat Old Town ever offered. Is such a complete story available, anywhere?

The L. L. Bean archivists seem to think that all of their old boats and canoes were made by Old Town but there is a fair amount of evidence that this is not true. The pictures attached below show an image of a boat from the 1927 L. L. Bean catalog along with some of a similar boat from the Kennebec catalogs that don't look much like anything that Old Town ever advertised.

The Old Town catalogs were the first ones scanned and are available from the store as Dan mentioned. I am not aware of Old Town ever buying boats from the Skowhegan Boat and Canoe Company. Old Town, Skowhegan, Kennebec, and many other builders offered round bottom boats during this period as you probably know. Please feel free to post some pictures here if you would like any addional help identifing this boat. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• LL-Bean.jpg
    LL-Bean.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 360
  • FRONT.JPG
    FRONT.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 348
  • PAGE-13.JPG
    PAGE-13.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited: