Seat Cane Size Advice Needed

ColinRowntree

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I need some advice on the diameter of cane to use for my 1936 16' Old Town Yankee. H.H. Perkins sells everything I need, but I'm a little vague on what diameter to get, even with their chart.
If I read it right, it's based on the distance between the holes, so as mine are 3/4" apart, that would indicate I should use "Medium 3.0mm". Does that sound right?

Also, for a two-seat job, how many 500 foot bundles should I purchase? Is one enough?

HH Perkins store: https://hhperkins.com/collections/strand-cane/products/caning-kits?variant=42955261182195

Here are some photos and graphics of the overall project. any advice would be very much appreciated so I cane what I need to do the job historically and visually correct.

IMG_6658 6.JPG

IMG_6525 6.jpg
IMG_6888 2.JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 3.53.22 PM.png

Here are some photos and graphics of the overall project. any advice would be very much appreciated so I cane what I need to do the job historically correct.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_6744 6.JPG
    IMG_6744 6.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6471 6.JPG
    IMG_6471 6.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I purchased a 1/2 coil (500') of Medium cane, 3 mm and (2) 25' bundles of Common cane as binder for the couching (perimeter binding). I have completed 5 seats and have almost no Medium cane left, but lots of binder cane. My holes were generally 3/4" apart, and 5/16" in diameter.

The awl in the kit you linked will be helpful, but you can easily use wooden golf tees to hold the cane as you weave. I carved walnut pegs for the binding corners just for fun.

tempImageTLgz97.png

Chestnut pattern:
tempImageHhQ5P6.png

Six step; Old Town used this pattern I think:
tempImageRP7lVB.png

Not sure if I'm too late to chime in with some thoughts, but here goes... When I cane seats I figure I want the seats to be as strong as they can be. I figure that equates to using as wide a cane as possible. At the same time I don't want to use a width that's so wide that the caning process is too difficult. If you take a look at cane running diagonally at 45 degrees in Patrick's (nicely done) seats above, I think you can see that if the cane was too wide they wouldn't fit into the area without deviating from a straight 45 degree angle. All that being said, I've found that 2.5mm cane works well with 3/4" spaced holes. 2.7mm works too but weaving the diagonals gets much harder.

Back