Original seat construction '39 OT 17' CS?

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
I am about to begin restoration of an Old Town, 17', CS/HW, #127140, and want to bring it back to it's original condition, as authentic as possible. Removing the seats, which both need re-canning, I notice a poor repair done at some point in the distant past.

The rear seat is in reasonable shape, the edges of the wood rounded over as expected, and the pre-woven cane held in grooves with splines. (Please excuse my terminology, if it is not quite correct.)

And then there is the front seat, where I see one long and one short member with holes, as if it originally had hand-woven cane, and the other two members have no holes. The two long members are not the same width, and not all of the edges of the wood have been rounded over. I suspect one long member (without holes for cane) is part of a poor repair, and not original. The cane that is in this seat is the pre-woven in a groove.

I am told that 1939 is about the time Old Town switched away from the hand woven cane in seats, but it would be peculiar if they had put a hand-woven in the front, and pre-woven in the rear.

So the question is - can we figure out how this canoe was equipped when it left the factory?

I have noticed the recent threads on the bolts & spacers. The seats in this canoe were held in by hex head steel bolts with self-locking nuts, with wood dowels for spacers. The thwarts are held in with essentially the same. Is this original hardware? Thanks for the advice. Tom McCloud WCHA4654

Hand caned seats were replaced with the pre-woven cane alternative as a result of the introduction of minimum wage in the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. It appears that your canoe was "Fitted" in February, 1940 so my guess is that it originally had pre-woven cane held in grooves with splines on both seats. I agree that it is highly unlikely that your canoe left the factory with a hand caned bow seat and a pre-woven stern seat. It sounds like your bow seat was repaired with some seat parts from an older canoe at some point. The "hex head steel bolts with self-locking nuts" do not sound original either. Brass bolts with diamond heads and ordinary square nuts were probably shipped with your canoe. Good luck with the rest of your restoration.

Benson

Thanks, Benson. That's exactly the information I was looking for. Tom McCloud

Back