Rustoleum Paint?

You were typing while I was typing, Howie. That's a noticeable savings in weight. Why, that'd be 15 more bags of potato chips I could bring along. But that'd mean needing two extra gallons of water cuz I'd be so thirsty. So, 7 bags of potato chips and one gallon of water. That'd be worth it. Thanks for the information.

WRT shellac over paint, Rollin answered that. In my book, if Rollin says it can be done, it is so.
He said it can be done.

Got it. Just missed/forgot that sentence in the middle of his paragraph:

"The 3lb shellac can be put directly over the filler but it can equally be applied over most paints."

Thank you for pointing it out to me, Rollin.

I have Rustoleum Hunter Green in my 1936 OT and it looks good and holds up well. For minor scratches I’m liking 5000 grit wet sandpaper with a little polishing compound that does a nice job.

Mud, I just finished at 18 foot Maine guide canoe which I covered with Dacron (the heavy 8.4 oz stuff). The canoe weighed 47 pounds without fabric, filler, paint, outwales, and seats. With all those things, it is 71 pounds. My measurements aren't exact, but from weights and calculations along the way I figure oak outwales, Dacron, filler/paint, and seats were just about 6 pounds each. So that means Dacron, filler, and paint together would add 12 pounds. Of course, the finished result with this heavy-weight Dacron would be just about indestructible!

Rustoleum . I've used it and it's ok. Enamel tractor paint from TSC I've used too and it's ok. BUT, once you have done a few and get more used to the process you may want to spend the extra couple bucks for the good stuff. It's worth it.

Colin, That's good to know. I actually have the same paint on my Chestnut. I leave green everywhere I go though, but it's painted over patches of body filler and every other kind of patch, so it's not much of a test. Glad to know yours holds up well. You sand scratches with 5,000 grit paper? I didn't know paper came that fine. I don't think it'd do much for the kind of scratches I make though! I'll need to adjust my careful level after it's redone.

Worth, Seventy-one pounds seems really light for an 18 foot canoe. That's great. I guess that center thwart could be replaced with a yoke to be carried by someone who doesn't have a pet blue ox. I've already bought the canvas for my 18 footer, so Dacron's out for me. I'll weigh it before and after canvassing to compare notes. Thanks for the information.

Dave, I've heard rumors that the over-the-counter tractor paints have been changed with the new anti-oil paint regulations. Valspar used to make an implement line, but last I looked they no longer did, at least not here in Michigan with the new bans on paint. So be careful if you go that route again; you might have worse results than before. May I ask what's your vote for "the good stuff?" And where you get it?

Kirby for me.there are others. I haven't used the TSC or home depot in a long time. George Kirby is easy to Google. And they answer their own phone. I want to say new Bedford mass. But my head is foggy lately.

And about dacron: is it noticeably lighter than canvass when you actually lift the canoe?

Alex Comb of Stewart River Boatworks may be the most experienced boat builder using Dacron now that Tom MacKenzie has passed. He advertises his 16'-6" Mon Amie tandem at 65 lbs. with #10 canvas and 58 lbs. in Dacron.

Shorter canoes will have a bit less weight difference. For example, his 15' Ami lists at 55 and 50 lbs. and his 13'-6" Damselfly lists at 40 and 36 lbs.

I believe, however, that he now prefers a lightweight poly/cotton canvas to Dacron, which is not quite as light but has other characteristics he likes. Contact him; he's very willing to share his experience.

Back