Old Town Otca performance and questions

revcp

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hi,
I was last on the site a few years ago when researching the purchase of a 1925 OT Otca with mahogany trim. Have since taken it on trips in the BWCAW each of the last three summers. It's fabulous. Having paddled Guides I was a bit concerned about the higher bow and stem profiles, but no problem. Hosanna (my boys named her after the "blood red" horse that is the principal character in a trilogy I read to them about the crusades) travels straight, turns well enough, is like and cork in big water and is very balanced flipping and portaging. and, well, she's beautiful. What really impressed me, however, was her performance yesterday on the final day of our trip (only five days, but 33 lakes, 33 portages -- about 7 miles total). We were crossing Brule Lake, the largest lake in the south central area of the BWCA. It's an east-west lake and there was a steady 30 mph wind from the west with gusts probably at 40, 45. We were in the lee side of an island preparing for our next foray into the 3 1/2 to 4 foot swells when I spotted two heads bobbing a few hundred yards off and what looked like a capsized canoe. We went over to investigate. It was two novices who had put in an hour earlier. They had indeed swamped and two kind souls in a coleman with styrofoam outriggers was trying to empty their canoe to get them back in. It was pretty hopeless. The canoe (kevlar wenonah of some sort) still had several gallons of water in it when we arrived. One young (15-16 yr old) canoeist was in, the other was trying to get his belly up on the gunwale, but the canoe with the outriggers, of course, couldn't stabilize the craft well enough to keep the gunwale from dipping when the kid climbed in. That's where we took over. We moved the other canoe out of the way and pushed down onto the gunwale as the second canoeist climbed in. We told them to paddle downwind to the closes (200-300 yards) shore. They inexplicably went the opposite direction into the wind. We followed, knowing it was just a matter of time. They capsized again. It took no time to pull their canoe over the bow of Hosanna, empty it and get them back in. All of this was done in a 30 mph wind with big swells and our canoe was so seaworthy I never even thought about the waves or the wind. We ushered them to shore and made sure they were OK (it was at this point that the rest of their group joined them, including the adults who had not gone out to help and never thanked us) before we headed to the landing (they aborted their trip and we saw them at the landing 1.5 hours later -- only wise decision they made all day). I just couldn't believe how solid and stable the Otca was. Amazing.
And now my questions. I observe a "wet boot" policy, so in three trips Hosanna had picked up only one small surface scratch, but dragging the Wenonah over the bow put some scratches on the deckplate and gunwales. And when we took our friends to the shore in heavy waves and flipped her to check on them I got some more scratches on the gunwales and several on the hull. They are scratches on the hull, not gouges, so I think I can do touch up, but can I? Will simple spot touch ups do or do I need to repaint the entire hull? In either case, what paint should I use? Also I'm assuming I just use a high quality varnish for the scratches on the wood? Would appreciate any feedback on the questions. Thanks and happy paddling!

Steve

Sounds like cosmetic damage. I'd wait 'til fall to do anything. Marine spar varnish for the rails and decks (don't use poly). Scuff sand with 220, smooth out any deep scrapes and give the rails a new coat. It won't take that long and will look far better than trying to do touch up. As for the paint, unless you have gouges down to canvas I'd call it character and hold off repainting until you really need it. You could attempt wet sanding with 400, 600, and 1200 then buffing but you may end up wishing you'd just left the scratches alone :(

Thanks, Steve

Sounds like cosmetic damage. I'd wait 'til fall to do anything. Marine spar varnish for the rails and decks (don't use poly). Scuff sand with 220, smooth out any deep scrapes and give the rails a new coat. It won't take that long and will look far better than trying to do touch up. As for the paint, unless you have gouges down to canvas I'd call it character and hold off repainting until you really need it. You could attempt wet sanding with 400, 600, and 1200 then buffing but you may end up wishing you'd just left the scratches alone :(

It probably wasn't what you wanted to hear especially if the Octa was pristine prior to the rescue operation (can't believe you didn't even get a thank-you). I'm assuming that it had been restored before you bought it. If possible check with the person you bought it from to confirm the type of paint, manufacturer, and color. Most likely they used a marine-grade enamel paint but matching the exact color without the above info is unlikely. You might try wiping Penetrol into the scratches - might make them less visible. Others have had success with it in reducing oxidation so maybe it will help hide the scratches.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=4825&highlight=paint+renewal

Don't worry about the scratches!

You don't normally think of the Otca as a tripping canoe and, quite candidly, it's not. Many years ago, however, I used a 17-footer to paddle from Ely, Minnesota to Hudson's Bay. As you might expect, the hull got scraped up pretty good, particularly on portage landings, river shallows and rock gardens. None of that made any difference. As long as you don't do structural damage (cracked ribs, planking), all the rest can be repaired with touch up paint when you get home. No need to repaint the whole hull, unless you want to return it to show condition. Canoes that are used are canoes that have scratches. That said, watch out for the deep gashes that dig into or through the canvas. On the trail, best to duct tape over those to avoid water absorbtion or intrusion.

While the Otca handled nicely on our long trip (even with a full keel) and certainly looked good, it wasn't ideal. Week trips in Quetico and other small-water areas - it's great. But, fully loaded for several weeks to a month or more, the Otca doesn't really have enough freeboard for big lakes and rapids. You'll end up shipping water in serious beam seas. Also, the decorative bow and stern can cause some real excitement in the wind.

Here are a few photos of our Otca through Quetico, the English and Albany Rivers to Hudson's Bay.

Attachments

• 1 Quetico_Kashipiwi.jpg
    1 Quetico_Kashipiwi.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 2 Savant River.jpg
    2 Savant River.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 3 English river.jpg
    3 English river.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 4 Albany escarpment.jpg
    4 Albany escarpment.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 5 Near Albany delta.jpg
    5 Near Albany delta.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 290
Thanks, Giiwedin

Great pics! Bring back memories. I paddled the Albany in 1988 (then went south on the Pikitigushi to hop the train to the Kopka area and then to Nippigon) with an oltonar Tripper and paddled to the Bay in 1990 with a poly Discovery (up the Pipestone and then down the Severn). I paddled a wood canvas OT guide 18' for three summers in BWCA and Quetico and loved the way it handled. Granted the Otca is not a Tripper, but I am surprised by its ability with a load.

None of the scratches are deep at all. I put the canoe up knee deep in water at portages, put it down in the water as well and haven't run any whitewater in it, so the only scratches (more like abrasions) are from the rescue.

You don't normally think of the Otca as a tripping canoe and, quite candidly, it's not. Many years ago, however, I used a 17-footer to paddle from Ely, Minnesota to Hudson's Bay. As you might expect, the hull got scraped up pretty good, particularly on portage landings, river shallows and rock gardens. None of that made any difference. As long as you don't do structural damage (cracked ribs, planking), all the rest can be repaired with touch up paint when you get home. No need to repaint the whole hull, unless you want to return it to show condition. Canoes that are used are canoes that have scratches. That said, watch out for the deep gashes that dig into or through the canvas. On the trail, best to duct tape over those to avoid water absorbtion or intrusion.

While the Otca handled nicely on our long trip (even with a full keel) and certainly looked good, it wasn't ideal. Week trips in Quetico and other small-water areas - it's great. But, fully loaded for several weeks to a month or more, the Otca doesn't really have enough freeboard for big lakes and rapids. You'll end up shipping water in serious beam seas. Also, the decorative bow and stern can cause some real excitement in the wind.

Here are a few photos of our Otca through Quetico, the English and Albany Rivers to Hudson's Bay.

For a trail repair of canvas scratches, I would advise a different approach. At the camp I worked for, we took ambroid glue, some sandpaper, and a bandanna with us. If you knew there was a hole, we would find it (if you can suck air through the canvas you know there is a hole), sand a bit of the filler off, cut a piece of bandanna about 1/4 inch larger than the area sanded, fray the edges, and liberally apply ambroid to the hull, then apply the bandanna, then more ambroid. It takes a bit to dry, but is good as new.

If you are interested, here is a field guide on wood canvas canoe repair (this is not my camp).

That's a lot of work and goop! Back in the day I did the same thing when we had holes (fortunately not that often), but today duct tape is king. Nice thing, though, tape now comes in colors to match your paint. :)

Back