Peterson Brothers Boat Works Shell Lake, Wisc. Acquisition

slimypollywog

Last weekend I picked up a 16' wood canvas canoe with a metal tag reads Peterson Brothers Boat Works Shell Lake, Wisc. Not sure where to look for the serial numbers. I'd like to determine an approximate year and the model. Perhaps its a 16' Prince or Princess? Appears that it will float however has some small tears in the canvas at where it fastens near the stems both front and rear. The inner gunwales are good but the outer has had a little rot and a subsequent repair on one end. A few of the ribs have been spiced over the top of them on the floor planking and a couple have splits on the ends. A few small patches have been made to the side planks from the inside. All the wood has a caked on layer of polyurethane-like coating yet which is peeling or chipped somewhat. The practical question is: what might one do to crudely patch the cracks in the canvas to temporarily use it as is? I'd like to repair or replace wood, re-canvas, seal and paint it this coming winter season.

Attachments

• PICT0117.jpg
    PICT0117.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 364
  • PICT0118.jpg
    PICT0118.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 369
  • PICT0119.jpg
    PICT0119.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 357
  • PICT0120.jpg
    PICT0120.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 396
  • PICT0121.jpg
    PICT0121.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 433
  • PICT0125.jpg
    PICT0125.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
The Peterson Bros. departed Shell Lake Boat Co. at Shell Lake, WI in 1929. They were "let go" after the stock market crash that sparked the Great Depression. So they ventured out on their own and started making wooden watercraft. Their start was either late 1929 or early 1930.

The ceased making watercraft about 1958. The company continued in operation making fiberglass tanks and other items. I think they're still in business today.

Andreas

Hey thank you Andreas. I posted six images if you care to look it over. I feel I got a square deal considering there isn't too much damage and I paid $300.

Back