Shell Lake Decal

Stephen Bowman

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Am currently restoring a 1941 Shell Lake wood/canvas canoe. Have been unable to locate a supplier/vendor for the decal that was on the bow plate. If necessary, I could have someone paint a replica of the decal, but I would like to keep the canoe as close to original as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve Bowman

Shell Lake likely had more than one decal style over the years. Here is one example. Some folks work from photos like this and print their own water-release decals...

Attachments

• decal_cropped.jpg
    decal_cropped.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 347
How about by features?
ie, half ribs stringer or not, deck shape, etc.

I have 2 18 ft'ers, they both have the same style 1/2 ribs a stringer but one has the slightly curved deck and a metal name plack, the other has the deck with a central main curve and then 2 tighter curved that turn back at the sides.

I have a 1951 16' Shell Lake that has the brass name plate. Another feature it had was copper nails nailed through the outer and inner gunnels into the decks. The only reason I know it's a 1951 model is that my dad bought the canoe new in 1952 and it was a left over 51 model.

It seems there were several different types/styles of name plates that Shell Lake used. This one was aprox. 3"W by 5"L. I know this canoe was made in July of 1947 because it was marked on the undersideof the bow plate. Also remember him buying it from a friend when I was very young. Thanks for the reply, Steve

Dan Miller said:
Shell Lake likely had more than one decal style over the years. Here is one example. Some folks work from photos like this and print their own water-release decals...
How do you make a water release decal--or where would I likely find someone to do this. Thanks, Steve

Search Google - you can buy decal paper that you can run through a laser printer (maybe inkjet too?). I bought some a while ago, but don't remember where it came from...

You can also have them made, get hold of Richard Greene (he runs the WCHA Store), as he has the Old Town reproductions made up. He can tell you where he gets them from. Probably fairly expensive for short runs.

Back