Peterborough restoration

Kliff

I'm starting my first ever wood & canvas restoration. Before I jump into the project, a little about the boats history. It is a Peterborough, 75th anniversary with stem #1448 9778. The canoe was originally purchased by my Dad who died when I was very young (1966). My brother and I used it off and on when we were kids. When I was in high school, I recaned the seats, and slapped a coat of mystery paint on it. Since then it has mostly been in storage. It has only seen the water maybe a handful of times in the last 20 years. My plan is to restore it, and give it to my brother, who probably forgot I still have it. I want to restore it to as close to original condition as I can, but I also want it to be as functionally pleasing as I can make it. Along the way, I'll create tables of offset data, and hopefully create a composite copy or cedar strip copy for myself, since most of my canoe building experience is with those types of construction.

By most peoples standards, I am a master woodworker, even though I don't consider myself one. I do have a very well equipped wood shop at home, as well as at school (I'm a teacher), so I'm pretty much unlimited by tools.

IMG_4184.jpg

Here's the starting point
IMG_4171.jpg

The decal indicates 75 year anniversary. Doesn't seem to connect with Dates.....My Dad died in 1966, Peterborough was founded in 1892. I'm not too hung up on that.
IMG_4172.jpg

Here's the stem #
IMG_4179.jpg

At this point, most of the wood seems in pretty good shape. A few of the rib ends have splits, but no rot. I believe these can all be repaired after clean-up.
IMG_4180.jpg

This is the bow, and the only area showing any rot. Inwales and possibly decks need significant repair or replacement. I'm planning to replace. Trying to match new wood with significantly older is difficult without it being noticeable.

So here's my plan for getting started:

1. Remove seats & Thwart. Replace with temporary braces to maintain shape and provide strength.
2. Chemically strip inside ribs & planking. I have lots of experience with Kutzit, which is very thin. If I use Kutzit, I'll leave the skin on at least for the start of stripping, to eliminate dripping through the planking.
3. Remove outwales, canvas, inwales.
4. Finish clean-up, and initial sanding of inside planking & ribs
5. Stop & reassess wood repair/replacement needs.

Hoping to get started in about 2 weeks. I have a few things to cross off the honey do list first, or I'll be sleeping in the canoe.

Looks like a nice project!

There are some books that can help a whole lot, for guidance through the process:

I'm not familiar with Kutzit, but I'm thinking some folks here will know more...

All the best!

Hi beautiful old canoe and my compliments on wanting to not only restore but also in wanting to get it back to as close to its original condition as possible. I always try to be careful to adjust/change anything from how the original craftsmen made it.

My only question in regards to your list of work needed was in removing the inwales? From the pictures they look solid minus some rot on the ends. It looks like you'll need to replace a piece of the stem where it joins your inwales and deck but this can be done by removing the deck . Then you can scarf new ends on the inwales as needed. Removing the inwales is not always a simple process and can cause more work?

Just a thought, you'll know best as the pictures don't tell the whole story. These old canoes never reveal everything at first glance when it comes to restoring them. This site will be a wealth of knowledge and help should you have questions.

Best of luck with it, Gary

The decal indicates 75 year anniversary. Doesn't seem to connect with Dates.....My Dad died in 1966, Peterborough was founded in 1892. I'm not too hung up on that.

Even though the name "Peterborough Canoe Company" was corporately founded in 1892, in later years the company started using 1879 as their founding date. This was the year that Col. James Z. Rogers purchased the patents for canoe building from Peterborough local John Stephenson. In an intact 75th Anniversary decal you'll see this 1879 start date on the lower left and 1954 on the lower right.

Best of luck with the restoration.

Thanks for your input. Gary, I was thinking of scarf joining in new ends of the inwales originally. Since I'm not going to be in any hurry to finish the project, I may start with doing that. If I'm not satisified with the result, I can always replace them. More work, but I'm primarily concerned with the end result.

I'll be able to make better decisions on wood replacement after I get the inside stripped, and the outwales, stem band, and keel off. One step at a time...

Murat: your clarification on dates makes sense, and certainly allows for 75th anniversary to have occurred prior to my Dad's death.

Really looking forward to this project. One of my fondest memories is winning a very prestigious canoe race with my brother in this canoe. Ok, no one has ever heard of the race, it was a local 4th of July celebration with about a dozen boats. But to an 8th grader......Olympics! It paddled like a dream, one of the reasons I also want to copy the lines when I'm done.

Back